6 - prisoner

Viper and Thor escaped the scene as quickly as their injuries would allow. Knox turned to me, bringing the gun up and aiming it at me for the second time in 24 hours. We clearly got off on the wrong foot. I held my shaking hands up in a silent plea, Blaze stayed perfectly still next to me. His composure was immaculate considering the circumstances. Maybe he was used to his boss going completely off the rails.

"Give me one good reason I shouldn't kill you." he murmured darkly. The red he was seeing had faded slightly after he went off on Viper and Thor, but it was still there.

I took a deep breath, buying time to come up with a good enough reason. "I'm not a threat to you." I whispered gently, hoping to calm him enough to lower the gun. He didn't respond so I continued pleading my case "I'm not an agent, I'm just a receptionist. Or I was. I've barely been with the FBI for a week, I didn't even know who you were until last night!" I exclaimed, tears springing to my eyes as I stared down the barrel of the gun.

He shook his head and exhaled, lowering the gun.

"Leave us." he commanded Blaze, who nodded and dropped my arm, leaving the deck swiftly.

"Who told you about me." Knox crossed his arms over his broad chest, keeping the gun in his grasp.

"Are you going to kill them if I tell you?"

"Depends." he responded honestly.

I guess it wasn't the biggest loss to humanity if Sal ceased to exist. I decided to take the risk. I opened my mouth to rat him out but I swayed a little, light headed and lacking balance now that Blaze wasn't supporting me. Knox noticed and moved towards me, reaching out to steady me. I flinched before his hand could grasp my shoulder.

"I'm not going to hurt you." He said.

"Says the guy who held a gun to my head. Twice." I snapped. "I'm fine, I just need to sit down."

He rolled his gorgeous eyes and gestured to the lounge chair behind him. I stumbled around him and plopped down, resting elbows on my knees.

"I needed help so I went to Sal. He's my roommate's boyfriend and the owner of-"

"I know who Sal is." He interrupted.

"I knew he does a lot of work under the table, I needed protection and I thought he'd be able to help me. He said he couldn't but he knew someone who might."

"Me." Knox confirmed. I nodded in response.

"Are you going to kill him?"

He ignored me and paced the pavement, deep in thought.

"Why are they after you?" he asked, referring to the FBI.

I explained the events of last night, giving only the necessary details. He continued his pacing. "There were three of them, Thompson, Lars and I don't know who the third one was. They mentioned you, they said they would keep up appearances hunting you down" I explained.

"Thompson has been trying to take me down for years."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fuck anything up for you" I couldn't stop the rogue tear from sliding down my cheek, I wiped it away quickly before he noticed but it was too late. This guy seemed to notice everything.

He made a few taps on his phone and turned back to me with a cold, hateful glare.

"In the end, you get what you wanted," he said with venom "I have no choice but to keep you here, you've seen too much."

Blaze returned to the deck, crossing his arms behind his back. Knox turned to him and gestured to me.

"Find a room to lock her in and keep her under 24/7 supervision until I decide whether or not to kill her." he instructed before stalking into the house without a second look in my direction.

Blaze gave me a sympathetic shrug and helped me up. I choked back my tears until I was alone in the bare bedroom that became my new prison cell. There was a bed, single desk with an acrylic chair, and a small bathroom attached. A camera was installed in the corner of the ceiling, leaving me with no privacy aside from the bathroom. 

I collapsed on the bed, allowing the sobs to wrack my body in full force. I hated Knox, he was everything everyone said he was. Cruel, cold and dangerous. Regret coursed through me in steady waves, I resented Sal for sending me down this path, I despised Tommy Knox for treating me this way but most of all I blamed myself for sneaking into that conference room in the first place.

I cried for hours, allowing myself to process the events and emotions of the last 24 hours until there wasn't a single emotion left in me to feel. I went numb.

Blaze stopped by to check on me every couple hours for the next few days. Once a day he brought food, which I refused. Every time he came in he asked "How are you?" and I ignored him.

I felt broken and depressed, I didn't see any point in living anymore, there was no chance at a normal life anymore. If I somehow managed to escape Knox's prison, I would be hunted for the rest of my life by Thompson. My word meant nothing to distrusting men like this. They bought silence with blood, and that's exactly what Knox would do.