thirty four

happy first fatws day!!

•••

EVER SINCE THEIR undercover mission in brooklyn, bucky would bring alexa back time and time again. every time they came to brooklyn, it would be for either two reasons. the first was bucky would bring her to eat at a place him and steve used eat at constantly. the second was to show her places that he and steve would hang out at and what he could remember.

alexa as always would listen intently to bucky speak as the two walked down the sidewalk. they were in brooklyn last week, and with steve. they took alexa to what was their favorite diner for lunch.

bucky's glove covered hand slipped seamlessly into alexa's, the two crossing the street. the brisk march air made alexa shiver a bit under all her layers. she was confused when bucky stopped infront of an apartment complex.

they faced the building, alexa looking at bucky as he just stood there. he looked deep in thought. she looked back at the seemingly abandoned apartment complex. she stayed quiet, wanting to let bucky speak first. after a few moments, she heard him take a deep breath.

"steve and i lived here." she looked at him again, the two locking eyes. she looked back at the complex, tilting her head slightly.

"what apartment was yours?" she questioned, bucky looking at the building. he pointed towards the second floor.

"apartment 2c, steve was apartment 2e. after steve's ma died, steve was being, steve. too stubborn to try to accept my help. after a few months, steve was struggling to make ends meet so he moved in with me. he lived with my family and i for a few years before the war."

she heard bucky's breath hitch when his old apartment door opened, a middle aged women walking out with a young girl on her hip.

she squeezed his hand, a small gesture of comfort without needing words. he squeezed back, looking at her.

"let's go home doll." she nodded, the two making the small walk back to bucky's car a few blocks away. as they walked, alexa rested her head against bucky's left bicep. they reached the car, alexa buckling her seatbelt as bucky started the car. she was quite surprised on how well bucky knew how to parallel park.

bucky put the car in drive, and sped off back to the compound.

•••

later that afternoon, steve found alexa pacing the courtyard with headphones in her ears. she was talking, but couldn't quite make out what she was saying. steve then remembered alexa had therapy every wednesday, and he started to walk away to head to the kitchen.