eight

•••

•••

IT WAS TWO-thirty seven in the morning, and alexa couldn't sleep at all. every time she closed her eyes, her past would haunt her. she knew better then to bother steve at this hour, so she thought she could tough it out. at around one she tried taking a warm bath to calm down. that didn't work.

her chest felt heavy, as if a elephant was sitting on her. she had recently almost reverted back to old habits from the red room, and that scared her to a point where she hid in her room for almost the whole day until bucky knocked and asked her if she wanted to help make dinner with him.

she sighed, slipping out of bed. it was cold, her slipping on a hoodie. she quietly left her room, limping slightly from her ankle. she swiftly walked past steve and bucky's room to the kitchen.

she reached into the cabinet and grabbed a glass cup. she filled it up with some cold water, taking a sip. she noticed her hand was shaking as she placed the cup down. she didn't have time to realize what was happening, a sudden wave of panic quickly washing over her.

alexa leaned on the kitchen counter and gripped the sides of the granite. her lungs began to constrict, causing her breathing to become sporadic. she closed her eyes as she tried to push her thoughts away as much as she could.

she focused solely on her breathing, trying to calm herself down by taking deep breaths. unfortunately, it was a too little too late. all it took was her brain to create images of her old boss and the people she used to work with who's expressions were full of revenge and hatred.

alexa's knees became weak and gave out from under her, making her crouch to the floor. she sat in a fetal position, her legs to her chest as she began to shake like an earthquake. she struggled for air as tears streamed down her face, her being incredibly overwhelmed.

just as alexa was feeling herself spiraling out of control, she heard footsteps enter the room. the person stepped closer to her, approaching the kitchen to inspect the trembling noises that she was making.

the person bent to her level, placing a hand on her tense and shuddering shoulder. despite feeling a bit faint, she recognized that the voice belonged to bucky.

"oh god," he whispered, trying to soothe her by rubbing her back, "it's okay, i got you doll."

the hands she held beside around her legs went to the side of her head, balled into fists. she was frustrated and embarrassed that he was seeing her at her lowest state for the first time. however, alexa was eternally grateful that he came at the right time.

bucky grasped her forearms gently, turning alexa so she was facing him. her eyes were still shut as her head still hung low. more tears threatened to fall from her eyes as she continued to gasp for oxygen.