thirty eight

•••

•••

ALEXA KNEW BUCKY wasn't sleeping next to her when she woke up at around two in the morning. she sat up, rubbing her eyes. she rubbed her face, alpine meowing at the end of the bed. alexa smiled softly and cautiously sticking her hand out. when alpine didn't react, alexa scratched behind her ear, hearing her purr softly.

"hi my sweet girl, by any chance do you know where your dad is?" she jokingly asked, pushing the covers off her legs. she slipped on some pants and left her bedroom. she heard music playing quietly from the kitchen, along with someone humming along to the song.

she peaked her head around the corner, alexa feeling her lips curl upwards immediately. looking so comfy in his blue henley and grey sweatpants, alexa watched bucky grab a cup from the cupboard as he sang along to louis armstrong. she knew music was something bucky used to help calm him down.

"whatcha doin' doll?" bucky questioned, knowing who was standing around the corner. alexa stepped out into the open, bucky shaking his head with a obvious smile on his face.

"i should be asking you that question. everything alright?" she asked, going up behind bucky at the stove and wrapping her arms around his waist. her head rested on the middle of his back, placing a kiss through his shirt.

"yeah i'm alright. was too restless in bed, couldn't sleep." she felt his back muscles shift as he poured water from the pitcher into his cup. bucky finally turned around to look at alexa properly. she was in a pair of shorts and a oversized long sleeve that bucky automatically knew was his.

"and what are you doin' up?" he questioned, his large hand holding her face. his left thumb brushed against her cheek, alexa tilting her head to lean into the touch.

"dunno, i woke up and saw you weren't there. just wanted to make sure you were alright." bucky hummed, letting his lips curve upward. he leaned forward slightly, alexa standing on the tips of her toes to meet him in the middle for a sweet kiss. bucky's lips got caught in between her's as he felt all the tension in his neck slip away.

alexa pulled away, bucky watching her eyes scan his face before pulling him back quickly in for another kiss. bucky chuckled, right hand slipping around her waist and pulling her closer. she laughed against his lips, bucky pulling away to smile down at her. alexa leaned against the island as bucky stood across from her, leaning against the sink.

bucky drank his water as the two stood in comfortable silence, louis armstrong playing softly from his phone. the song switched to dream a little dream of me, alexa watching bucky place the empty glass in the sink.

"may i have this dance?" he stuck his hand out, a small smile on his face. alexa chuckled, nodding her head.

"of course you can." bucky's vibranium hand slipped around her waist, settling on the small of her back. alexa's right hand rested softly on his left shoulder, being able to tell through his shirt where skin met metal. bucky held alexa's free hand, squeezing it softly.

"just follow me, okay?" alexa nodded, bucky softly humming along to the music as he twirled them around the kitchen. alexa looked down at their feet, almost stepping on them. she may have been a trained ballerina, but she sure as hell wasnt taught how to slow dance.

"eyes up here sweetheart." bucky spoke just above a whisper, alexa craning her head up to look at him. she grinned as they waltzed across the floor, her knowing that this was all muscle memory for bucky.

bucky looked down at her, laying a soft and sweet kiss against her lips.

"i will admit, this kind of dancing has its advantages." she mumbled against his lips, feeling how his lips curved upwards against her's.

"the slow ones were always easier." bucky admitted as he shifted his grip and had flattened alexa's hand over his heart. his cheek was pressed against the side of her head, slowing the steps down until they ended up in one spot. they stood in the middle of the kitchen, swaying softly to the rhythm of the song.

bucky continued to hum to the song, the two swaying in place together as the song finished. bucky let out a sigh of content, holding alexa close to his chest.

"i love you." bucky let go of her hand so he could wrap both his arms around her waist. alexa's hands snaked their way up to wrap around his neck.

"i love you too." the two felt something rub up against their leg, them looking at each other, then the floor.

alpine sat at their feet, purring softly. bucky laughed softly, alexa resting her head against his chest.

yeah, bucky could definitely get used to this.

cute and short little chapter, i've been DYING to write a kitchen dancing scene for so long