Talons and Tea Leaves

When Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione and me enter the Great Hall for breakfast next day, the first thing we see is Draco Malfoy, who seems to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As we pass, Draco does a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there is a roar of laughter.

"Ignore him," I say, me and Hermione are right behind Harry and Danny. "Just ignore him, it's not worth it..."

"Hey, Potter! Rivera!" shrieks Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. "Potter! Rivera! The Dementors are coming, Potter! Rivera! Woooooooo!"

Harry and Danny drop into a seat at the Gryffindor table, next to George Weasley.

"New third-year timetables," says George, passing them over. "What's up with you, Harry, Danny?"

"Malfoy," says Ron, sitting down on George's other side and glaring over at the Slytherin table.

George looks up in time to see Draco pretending to faint with terror again.

"That little git," he says calmly. "He wasn't so cocky last night when the Dementors were down our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," says Fred, with a contemptuous glance at Draco.

"He's never been the bravest of boys," I observe calmly.

"I wasn't too happy myself," says George. "They're horrible things, those Dementors..."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" says Fred.

"Make you feel awful, like you'll never be happy again..." I say with a shudder.

"You didn't pass out, though, did you?" says Danny in a low voice. Hermione takes his hand.

"Forget it, Harry, Danny," says George bracingly. "Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? And he said it was the worst place he'd ever been. He came back all weak and shaking...They suck the happiness out of a place, Dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."

"Anyway, we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first Quidditch match," says Fred. "Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of the season, remember?"

The only time Harry and Draco faced each other in a Quidditch match, Draco definitely came off worse. Looking slightly more cheerful, Harry and Danny help themselves to sausages and tomatoes.

Hermione and me are examining our new timetables.

"Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today," Hermione says happily.

"Hermione, Dawn," says Ron, frowning as he looks over shoulders, "they've messed up your timetables. Look - they've got you down for about ten subjects a day. There isn't enough time."

"We'll manage. We've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall," I say.

"But look," says Ron, laughing, "see this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination. And underneath, nine o'clock, Muggle Studies. And -" Ron looks closer to the timetables, disbelieving, "look - underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, Dawn, but no one's that good. How're you both supposed to be in three classes at once?"

"Don't be silly," says Hermione shortly. "Of course we won't be in three classes at once."

"Well, then-"

"Pass the marmalade," I say.

"But-"

"Oh, Ron, what's it to you if our timetables are a bit full?" Hermione snaps. "I told you, we've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall."