The Beginning

"So, Dumbledore told you to tell me something because he thought it would be better coming from you," I sum up the last five minutes of Danny's stuttering. "So, what did he want you to say?"

It is late, and Danny and I are in the common room alone. Danny told me he needs to speak with me, and he sounds urgent.

"Well...you know Moody - I mean, Crouch - put mine and Harry's names in the Goblet?"

"Yes," I say, slowly.

"Well, you know why he put Harry's name in - to restore Voldemort - but Dumbledore didn't want anyone knowing why he put my name in."

I pause, then say, "So? Why did he put your name in? And don't say to kill you," I add, as Danny opens his mouth to speak. "That much is obvious."

"Yes, well...he did want to kill me. Because he thought you and I were a dangerous threat to him together. But that's not the shocking thing. I mean it is, but...the reason why is much more peculiar..."

"So. Are you doing to tell me?" I pry. I am tired. I need sleep. Even though they're just full of nightmares.

"OK, those powers we have? The ones very few people know about? Well, until Rita Skeeter wrote her at article, that is. Anyway -" he clears his throat. "Voldemort knew we had them, and he knew why. Dumbledore knew why we'd have them too, but he had no idea we actually possessed such powers...he suspected it, but never said anything, just in case...it's a very rare occurrence..."

"I gathered as much," I say weakly. Then my curiosity gets he better of me. "So...why do we have these powers?"

Danny hesitates and says, "Well, I - I guess I'll just start from the beginning. Explain it how Dumbledore did.
"You know how our parents were murdered by Death Eaters, and we got separated as babies? Well, that's when it all started."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"Voldemort said that twins are born with special powers - you know, because they're born with a special bond between them. A bond of love. And love is the most powerful - well, yeah, anyway. Apparently, as the babies grow into toddlers and so on, the bond between them starts to become...normal, I guess, to them, and by the time they're about one and a half, their powers have gone. They are still slightly more magically gifted, but...generally speaking, there's nothing, er, 'special', so to speak, about them."

Understanding dawns on me. "But we were separated," I say. "That bond never got to get 'normal'. That's why we've kept our powers."

"Yes," says Danny. "But I think there's more to it than that."

"How?"

"One and a half. That's the age the magic starts to fade. Dawn, we met over a year a half ago, which means our powers should have faded by now."

I frown. Then I turn to he fireplace, whose flames are crackling merrily in the hearth. At my command, the flames erupt, creating what should be an explosion, what should burn the whole Tower down, but it doesn't. I set the room alight, the flames making me break into a slight sweat, but they do not harm anything. Then slowly I bring my hands in a high arc and join them together. The flames follow them, shrinking back into the fireplace, and within a few moments, the common room is back to normal, as if nothing ever happened.

"Show off," Danny mutters.

"I don't feel weaker," I announce, flexing my fingers. "I feel stronger. I feel...power." I shiver, and drop my hands immediately. I can almost taste the danger.

"So do I," Danny agrees. "So I did some research -"

"You did some research without being asked?" I say, unable to keep the surprise and humour from my voice.