Book One: The Journey From Platform Nine And Three-Quarters

Hey guys! This is my first fanfic and I know it's not that great but please don't hate! I hope you enjoy the story of Dawn Rivera! (The picture on this chapter is of Dawn)

****************************************

Hermione opens a compartment door. "Have any of you seen a toad? Neville's lost one," Hermione says. Me and Neville are behind her.

"We've already told him we haven't seen it," says a ginger-haired boy, but I'm not listening, I'm looking at the wand in his hand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it then."

I sit down. The ginger-haired boy looks taken aback.

"Er-all right."

He clears his throat.

"Sunshine, daises, butter mellow. Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

He waves his wand but nothing happens. His rat stays grey and fast asleep.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" says Hermione. "Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. No one in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - I've learned all our course books by heart of course, I just hope it will be enough. I'm Hermione Granger by the way and this is Dawn Rivera, who are you?"

She says all this very fast.

I see the dark-haired boy look to the boy with the rat and he seems relieved to find that rat boy's stunned face shows he hasn't learnt all the course books by heart either.

"I'm Ron Weasley," rat boy mutters.

"Harry Potter," says the darker-haired boy.

"Are you really?" I say excitedly. "I know all about you, of course - I got a few extra books, for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Am I?" asks Harry, looking dazed.

"Goodness, didn't you know, I'd have found out everything I could if I was you," says Hermione. "Do either of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad...Anyway, we'd better go look for Neville's toad. You two had better change, you know, I expect we'll be arriving soon."

And Hermione and me leave, taking Neville with us.

*****************************

"So, any boy's you've seen you like?" I ask Hermione with a grin.

Hermione blushes. "N-no," she says. But I can tell she's lying.

"Come on, spill. Neville's gone looking for his toad, he won't be back for ages. You can tell me. I won't tell anyone, promise!" I plead.

Hermione glances at the door then says quickly in a quiet voice. "That dark-haired boy Harry looked quite nice."

I squeal. This is awesome. "Really? That's great, Mione! Oh, can I call you that?"

Hermione grins. "Of course!"

*****************************

Hermione and me go back into Harry and Ron's compartment.

"What's been going on?" I ask, looking at the sweets all over the floor and Ron picking scabbers up by his tail.

"I think he's been knocked out," Ron says to Harry, picking the rat up by his tail. "No - I don't believe it - he's gone back to sleep."

And so he has.

"You've met Malfoy before?"

Harry explains about their meeting in Diagon Alley.

"I've heard about his family," Ron says darkly. "They were some of the first to come back to our side after You-Know-Who disappeared. Said they'd been bewitched. My dad doesn't believe it. He says Malfoy's father didn't need an excuse to go over to the Dark Side." He turns to me and Hermione. "Can we help you with something?"

Hermione answers. "You'd better hurry up and put your robes on, I've just been up to the conductor, and he says we're nearly there. You haven't been fighting have you? You'll be in trouble before we get there!"

"Scabbers has been fighting, not us," Ron scowls at us. "Would you mind leaving while we change?"

"All right - I only came in here because people outside are behaving very childishly, running up and down the corridors," I reply in a sniffy voice. "And you've got dirt on your nose, by the way, did you know?"

Ron glares at me as we leave.

*****************************

Me, Hermione and Neville follow Harry and Ron into their boat. "Everyone in?" shouts a tall hairy man who has a boat to himself. "Right then - FORWARD!"

And the fleet of little boats move off all at once, gliding across the lake, which is as smooth as glass. Everyone is silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towers over us as we sail nearer and nearer to the cliff it stands.

"Sails down!" yells the stranger as the first boats reach the cliff; we all bend our heads and the little boats carry us through a curtain of ivy that hides a wide opening in the cliff face. We are carried along a dark tunnel, which seems to be taking us right under the castle, until we reach a kind of underground harbour, where we clambour out onto rocks and pebbles.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" says the man who is checking people's boats as we climb out of them.

"Trevor!" cries Neville blissfully, holding out his hands. Then we clamber up the passage after the stranger's lamp, coming out at last onto smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.

We walk up a flight of stone steps and crowd around the huge, oak front door.

"Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?"

The fellow raises a gigantic fist and knocks three times on the castle door.

*****************************

Hope you sort of kind of maybe enjoyed the first chapter! Please vote and comment!

Also, suggestions to improve the story would be appreciated!

And I've decided to this thingymajig at the end of every chapter where you say which character you prefer, so here's the first one:

Mr Dursley or Mrs Dursley?