The Mirror Of Erised

Christmas is coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts wakes to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake is frozen solid and the Weasley twins are punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they follow Quirrel around, bouncing off the back of his turban. Although I usually would scold them for this and be disapproving, I just can't help finding it hilarious. The few owls that manage to battle their way through the stormy sky have to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they fly off again.

No one can wait for the holidays to start. While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall have roaring fires, the drafty corridors have become icy and a bitter wind rattles the windows in the classrooms. Worst of all are Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where our breath rises in a mist before us and we keep as close as possible to our hot cauldrons.

"I do feel so sorry," says Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He is looking over at Harry as he speaks. Crabbe and Goyle chuckle. Harry, who is measuring out powdered spine of lionfish, ignores them. Malfoy has been even more unpleasant than usual since the Quidditch match. Disgusted that the Slytherins lost, he tried to get everyone laughing about how a wide-mouthed tree frog will be replacing Harry as Seeker next. Then he realised that nobody finds this funny, because everyone is so impressed at the way that Harry managed to stay on his bucking broomstick. So Malfoy, jealous and angry, has gone back to taunting Harry about having no proper family.

It is true that Harry isn't going back to Privet Drive for Christmas. Professor McGonagall came around the week before, making a list of students who will be staying for the holidays, and Harry signed up at once. I don't feel sorry for him at all; this will probably be the best Christmas he has ever had. Ron and his brothers are staying, too, because Mr and Mrs Weasley are going to Romania to visit one of his brothers.

When we leave the dungeons at the end of Potions, we find a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet at the bottom and a loud huffing sound tells us that Hagrid is behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asks, sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm alright, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" comes Malfoys cold drawl behind us. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be Gamekeeper when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dives at Malfoy just as Snape comes up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron lets go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," says Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," says Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle push roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," says Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back, "one of these days, I'll get him-"

"I hate them both," says Harry. "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," says Hagrid. "Tell yer what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

So the four of us follow Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick are busy with the Christmas decorations.