Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

"That was a lie, Harry, Danny," says Hermione sharply over breakfast, when Harry and Danny tell her, Ron and I what they did. "You didn't imagine your scar hurting, Harry, and you know it."

"So what?" says Danny. "He's not going back to Azkaban because of Harry."

"Drop it," says Ron sharply to Hermione and me, as we open our mouths to argue some more, and for once, Hermione and I heed him, and fall silent.

I do my best not to worry about Uncle Sirius over the next few weeks. True, I can't help feeling anxious when Harry and Danny look around every morning when the owls arrive. But apart from that I try and keep my mind off my uncle. I wish I had Quidditch to distract me; nothing works so well on a troubled mind as a good, hard Quidditch match. On the other hand, our lessons are becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, especially Defence Against the Dark Arts.

To our surprise, Professor Moody has announced that he will be putting the Imperius Curse on each of us in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether we can resist its effects.

"But - but you said it's illegal, Professor," I say uncertainly, as Moody clears away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said - to use it against a human was -"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," says Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto me and fixing me with an eerie, unblinking stare. "If you'd rather learn the hard way - when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely - fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."

He points one gnarled finger towards the door. Hermione goes pink, and I can feel my face growing hot, and we mutter about not meaning that we want to leave. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Harry and Danny grin. Me and Hermione would rather eat Bubotuber pus than miss such an important lesson.

Moody begins to beckon students forwards in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them. I watch as, one by one, my classmates do the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean Thomas hops three times around the room, singing the national anthem. Lavender Brown imitates a squirrel. Neville performs a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not be capable of in his normal state. Not one of the seems to be able to fight the curse off, and each if them recover only when Moody has removed it.

"Potter," Moody growls, "you next."

Harry moves forwards into the middle of the classroom, into the space that Moody cleared of desks. Moody raises his wand, points it at Harry and says, "Imperio."

Harry bends his knees obediently, as if ready to spring.

The next thing I know, Harry looks like he is in considerable pain. He seems to have both jumped and tried to prevent himself from jumping - the result is that he's smashed headlong into the desk, knocking it over.

"Now that's more like it!" growls Moody, and Harry seems to come back to reality.

"Look at that, you lot...Potter fought! He fought it, and damn near beat it! We'll try that again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention - watch his eyes, that's where you see it - very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!"

Before we carry on, Potter, the Riveras need to try. Mr Rivera, you're up."

Danny glances at me nervously and wipes his sweaty palms on his school robes. I touch his arm reassuringly as he goes past, and give him an encouraging smile.

"Imperio," Moody mutters. For a moment, the atmosphere is tense, everyone wondering what Moody will do. Another moment passes, then -

"Imperio," Moody mutters again, with more force. "Imperio!"