The Very Secret Diary

Hermione and me remain in the hospital wing for several weeks. There is a flurry of rumour about our disappearance when the rest of the school arrive back from their Christmas holidays, because of course everyone thinks that we have been attacked. So many students file past the hospital wing trying to catch a glimpse of us that Madam Pomfrey takes her curtains out again and places them around mine and Hermione's beds, to spare us the shame of being seen with a furry face.

Harry and Ron come to visit us every evening. When the new term starts, they bring us each day's homework.

"If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work," says Ron, tipping a stack of books onto mine and Hermione's beside tables one evening.

"Don't be silly, Ron, I've got to keep up," I say briskly. Mine and Hermione's spirits are greatly improved by the fact that all the hair has gone from our faces and our eyes are slowly turning back to brown. "I don't suppose you've got any new leads?" I add in a whisper, so that Madam Pomfrey can't hear me.

"Nothing," says Harry gloomily.

"I was so sure it was Malfoy," says Ron, for about the hundredth time. I don't argue. I've been trying not to get on any of their bad sides lately.

"What's that?" says Harry, pointing to somethings gold under mine and Hermione's pillows.

"Just a Get Well card," says Hermione hastily, both of us trying to poke them out of sight, but Ron is too quick for us. He pulls them out, flicks Hermione's open and reads aloud:

"To Miss Granger, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honourary Member of the Dark Force Defence League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award." Then he opens mine. Another card falls out of it onto the floor, but Ron pays no attention to it for the minute. He starts reading mine. To Miss Rivera, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy-"

Ron looks up at Hermione and me, disgusted.

"You sleep with these under your pillows?" Then he picks up my fallen card. If anything, his face shows even more disgrace towards me as he reads it out to Harry.

"Dawn,
I look at us and a sense of pride fills me, when we came together, we weren't sure where we were headed. Weeks later, now I can see that we are exactly where we need to be. Even when everyone told us that we wouldn't last we stayed strong and today we can stand up to everyone, for we proved them wrong. I always knew that all we needed was us and we would make it through. Thank you for being you and proving me right. We're great with all my heart.
Gregory."

Words cannot describe Ron's face.

"He gave you a love letter?" Ron roars.

"I think that he's kind of cute-" Hermione begins.

"Oh, so you're on her side too, are you?" Ron snaps.

But Hermione and me are spared answering by Madam Pomfrey sweeping over with our evening dose of medicine.

Ron storms out in a rage, Harry trailing after him, sending us apologetic looks.

"Oh no," I say, once Madam Pomfrey, too, has disappeared. "He took the letter. I was hoping I could keep it."

"Don't worry," Hermione tells me. "I'm sure you have it memorised."

I blush.

"Isn't there something you wanted to show me?"

"Oh, yes,"I say, blushing even more. I take out the letter Ron didn't find. "I wrote this yestarday for Gregory because - well - he's written me one, so-"