The Triwizard Tournament

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundle, swaying dangerously in what is fast becoming a gale. Harry and Danny lean against the window. I can see Hogwarts coming nearer, its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashes across the sky as our carriage comes to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stand at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who occupied the carriages in front are already hurrying up the stone steps to the castle; Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione, Neville and me jump down from our carriage and dash up the steps too, looking up only when we are safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit Entrance Hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Dawn," says Ron. "I was thinking...about the Gregory thing again."

"Ron -" I begin.

"It's just...you seem really caught up with him, you know? And I think he still loves you, too. I just don't want to get in the way."

I don't say anything for a few seconds, then I sigh. "Alright. I know, you're right. To be honest, I would rather be with him than you, no offence."

"None taken," says Ron, although he looks slightly upset at delivering the news.

"But I need to be with you, can't you see? You take away the pain..." I trail off. Shoot.

But Ron doesn't look angry. He merely pulls me into a hug. "I thought as much," he whispers into my hair. "Everyone but him are just distractions, or ways of making him jealous, aren't they?" I nod, not meeting his eyes. "But the thing is, Dawn, I can't do this. By all means, find another distraction, but...I want more than that. A girlfriend who really likes me."

"I do like you," I argue.

"Not enough," says Ron.

He turns away, not for the first time.

"Blimey," says Ron, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, "if that keeps up, the lake's going to overflow. I'm soak - ARGH!"

A large, red, water-filled balloon has dropped from out of the ceiling onto Ron's head, and explodes. Drenched and spluttering, Ron staggers sideways into Harry and Danny, just as a second water bomb drops - narrowly missing me and Hermione, it bursts at Harry and Danny's feet, sending a wave of water over their trainers into their socks. People all around us shriek and start pushing each other in their efforts to get out of the line of fire - Harry and Danny look up.

"PEEVES!" yells an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

Professor McGonagall, deputy headmistress and Head of Gryffindor house, has come dashing out of the Great Hall; she skids on the wet floor and grabs Hermione and I around the necks to stop herself falling. "Ouch - sorry, Miss Granger, Miss Rivera -"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasps, she and I massaging our throats.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barks Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upwards through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackles Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who scream and dive into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeeee!" And he aims another bomb at a group of second-years who have just arrived.

"I shall call the Headmaster!" shouts Professor McGonagall. "I'm warning you, Peeves -"

Peeves sticks out his tongue, throws the last of his water bombs into the air, and zooms off up the marble staircase, cackling insanely.

"Well, move along, then!" says Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione and me slip and slide across the Entrance Hall and through the double doors on the right, Ron muttering furiously under his breath as he pushes his sopping hair off his face.