The Polyjuice Potion

The double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick turns what hitherto was nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it is Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seems to worry people most. What could possibly do that to a ghost, people ask each other; what terrible power can harm someone who is already dead? There is almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students can go home for Christmas.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron tells Harry, Hermione and me. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be." For that, I elbow him in the ribs.

Harry, Ron and Hermione have come to the conclusion that I'm only getting in with the Slytherin crowd to be an inside spy. That's fine. Whatever gelps them sleep at night. I know I can't be friends with everyone forever, though. I have to decide sooner or later who are going to stay my friends, and who are going to become my enemies. I can't imagine the Gryffindors as enemies, but then, I can't imagine Draco, Gregory and Vincent as enemies, either. I need to decide before it's blown way out of proportion. I need to decide what friends I'm willing to leave behind.

Also, McGonagall must have realised that she had a class before she got to Flitwick, because Harry, Ron and Hermione don't have detentions. I can't help feeling a little disappointed. I'll have to be more convincing next time I try that.

Vincent and Gregory, who always do whatever Draco does, have signed up to stay over the holidays too. Gregory says he would have, anyway, to spend more time with me. But Harry seems glad that most people are leaving. He's probably tired of people skirting around him in the corridors, as though he is about to sprout fangs or spit poison; tired of all the muttering, pointing and hissing as he passes.

Fred and George, however, find all this very funny. They go out of their way to march ahead of Harry down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..." I always laugh out loud when I see them doing this.

Percy is deeply disapproving of this behaviour.

"It is not a laughing matter," he says coldly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," says Fred. "Harry's in a hurry."

I laugh. "He's got a lot of things to do, been a busy lad these past few months. What, with having to control the school's population and all that...he's been rushed off his feet..."

"Yeah, he's nipping off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with his fanged serpent," says George, chortling.

Ginny and Misty don't find it amusing either.

"Oh, don't," Ginny wails every time Fred asks Harry loudly who he is planning to attack next, or George pretends to ward Harry off with a large clove of garlic when they meet.

Harry doesn't seem to mind; it probably makes him feel better that Fred and George, at least, think the idea of him being Slytherin's heir is quite ludicrous. But their antics seem to be aggravating Draco, who looks increasingly sour each time he sees them at it.

"It's because he's bursting to say it's really him," says Ron knowingly. "You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything, and you're getting all the credit for his dirty work."

This is stupid, of course, and just plain arrogant, but I play along. If I want to keep seeing Gregory, I'll have to convince them.

"Not for long," I say in what I hope is a satisfied tone. "The Polyjuice Potion's nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now."

******************************************

At last the term ends, and a silence deep as the snow on the grounds descends on the castle. Harry seems to find it peaceful, rather than gloomy, and I guess I enjoy the fact I, Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys have the run of Gryffindor Tower, which means we can play Exploding Snap loudly without bothering anyone, and practise duelling in private. Fred, George have chosen to stay at school rather than visit Bill in Egypt with Mr and Mrs Weasley. Percy, who disapproves of what he terms our childish behaviour, doesn't spend much time in the Gryffindor common room. He has already told us pompously that he is only staying over Christmas because it is his duty as a Prefect to support the teachers during this troubled time.