Fight and Flight

I have no idea what I am planning, and I'm not sure that Hermione has a plan, either. Harry and Danny walk half a pace behind us as we head down the corridor outside Umbridge's office; I know it would look very suspicious if they appear not to know where we are going. I do not dare attempt to talk to them; Umbridge is walking so closely behind us that I can hear her ragged breathing.

Hermione and I lead the way down the stairs into the Entrance Hall - it seems incredible to me that twenty feet away are people who are enjoying dinner, celebrating the end of exams, not a care in the world...

Hermione and I walk straight out of the oak front doors and down the steps into the balmy evening air. The sun is falling towards the tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest now, and as Hermione and I march purposefully across the grass - Umbridge jogging to keep up - our long dark shadows ripple over the grass behind us like cloaks.

"It's hidden in Hagrid's hut, is it?" says Umbridge eagerly in my ear.

"Of course not," I say scathingly. "Hagrid might of set it off accidentally."

"Yes," says Umbridge, whose excitement seems to be mounting. "Yes, he would have don, of course, the great half-breed oaf."

She laughs. I feel a strong urge to swing round and seize her by the throat, but resist.

"Then...where is it?" asks Umbridge, with a hint of uncertainty in her voice as Hermione and I continue to stride towards the Forest.

"In there, of course," says Hermione, pointing into the dark trees. "It had to be somewhere that students weren't going to find it accidentally, didn't it?"

"Of course," says Umbridge, though she sounds a little apprehensive now. "Of course...very well, then...you four stay ahead of me."

"Can we have your wand, then, if we're going first?" Harry asks her.

"No, I don't think so, Mr Potter," says Umbridge sweetly, poking him in the back with it. "The Ministry places a rather higher value on my life than yours, I'm afraid."

As we reach the cool shade of the first trees, I give Umbridge a contemptuous glance and plunge straight into the trees with Hermione, moving at such a pace that Umbridge, with her shorter legs, has difficulty keeping up.

"Is it very far in?" Umbridge asks, as her robe rips on a bramble.

"Oh, yes," I say, "yes, it's well hidden."

"Er - are you going the right way?" Danny asks us pointedly.

"Oh yes," Hermione says in a steely voice, crashing through the undergrowth with what is a wholly unnecessary amount of noise. Behind us, Umbridge trips over a fallen sapling. None of us pause to help her up again; Hermione merely strides on, calling loudly over her shoulder, "It's a bit further in!"

"Hermione, keep your voice down," Harry mutters, hurrying to catch up with us. "Anything could be listening in here - "

"We want us heard," I answer quietly, as Umbridge jogs noisily after us. "You'll see..."

We walk on for what seems a long time, until we are once again so deep into the Forest that the dense tree canopy blocks out all light. I have the feeling I have had before in the Forest, one of being watched by unseen eyes. I grip Harry's hand tightly.

"How much further?" demands Umbridge angrily from behind me.

"Not far now!" shouts Hermione, as we emerge into a dim, dank clearing. "Just a little bit - "

An arrow flies through the air and lands with a menacing thud on the tree just over Hermione and I's heads. The air is suddenly full of the sound of hooves; I can feel the Forest floor trembling; Umbridge gives a little scream and pushes Harry and Danny in front of her like shields -