Padfoot Returns

One of the best things about the aftermath of the second task is that everybody is very keen to hear the details of what happened down in the lake, which means that for once Ron is getting to share Harry's and Danny's limelight. I notice that Ron's version of events change subtly with every retelling. At first, he gives the truth; it tails with Hermione and I's story, anyway - Dumbledore put all of us in a bewitched sleep in Professor McGonagall's office, first assuring us that we are quite safe, and will wake when we are back above the water. One week later, however, Ron is telling a thrilling tale of kidnap in which he struggled single-handedly against fifty heavily armed merpeople who had to beat him into submission before trying him up.

"But I had my wand hidden up my sleeve," he assures Padma Patil, who seems a lot keener on Ron now that he is getting so much attention, and is making a point of talking to him every time they pass in the corridors. "I could've taken those mer-idiots any time I wanted."

"What were you going to do, snore at them?" says Hermione wapishly. People have been teasing her so much about being the thing that Viktor Krum will miss most that she is in a rather tetchy mood. Danny also isn't pleased that Viktor likes Hermione so much, and makes a point of glaring at the Durmstrang ship whenever we pass it, and snorting loudly when we pass Krum. He has also become increasingly aware of Ron's attitude towards her ever since the Yule Ball.

Ron's ears go red, and he reverts thereafter to the bewitched-sleep version of events.

As we enter March the weather becomes drier, but cruel winds skin our hands and faces every time we go out into the grounds. There are delays in the post because the owls keep being blown off course. The brown owl that Harry, Danny and I sent to Uncle Sirius with the dates of the Hogsmeade weekend turns up at breakfast on Friday morning with half its feathers sticking up the wrong way; Harry, Danny and I have no sooner torn off Uncle Sirius' reply than it takes flight, clearly afraid it is going to be sent outside again.

Uncle Sirius' letter is almost as short as the previous one.

Be at stile at end of road out of Hogsmeade at two o'clock on Saturday afternoon. Bring as much food as you can.

"He hasn't come back to Hogsmeade?" says Ron incredulously.

"It looks like it, doesn't it?" I say.

"I can't believe him," says Harry tensely. "If he's caught..."

"Made it so far, though, hasn't he?" says Ron. "And it's not like the place is swarming with Dementors any more."

I fold up the letter, thinking. If I am honest with myself, I really want to see Uncle Sirius again. I therefore approach the final lesson of the afternoon - double Potions - feeling considerably more cheerful than I usually do when descending the steps to the dungeons, hand-in-hand with Harry.

Malfoy, Crabbe and Gregory are standing in a huddle outside the classroom door with Pansy Parkinson's gang of Slytherin girls. All of them are looking at something I can't see and sniggering heartily. Pansy's pug-like face peers excitedly around Gregory's broad back as Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione and I approach. Gregory smiles when he sees me, looks at Harry and I's intertwined hands, winces, and looks away.

"There they are, there they are!" she giggles, and the knot of Slytherins break apart. I see that Pansy has a magazine in her hands - Witch Weekly. The moving picture on the front shows a curly-haired witch who is smiling toothily and pointing at a large sponge cake with her wand.

"You might find something to interest you in there, Granger and Rivera!" Pansy says loudly, and she throws the magazine at Hermione and I, who catch it, looking startled. At that moment, the dungeon door opens, and Snape beckons us all inside.