Hermione and I's Helping Hand

As Hermione and I predicted, the sixth-years' free periods are not the hours of blissful relaxation Ron anticipated, but times in which to attempt to keep up with the vast amount of homework we are being set. Not only are we studying as if we have exams everyday, but the lessons themselves have become more demanding than ever before. Harry and Danny barely understand half of what Professor McGonagall says to us these days; even Hermione and I had to ask her to repeat instructions once or twice. Incredibly, and to Hermione and I's increasing resentment, Harry's and Danny's best subject has suddenly become Potions, thanks to the Half-Blood Prince. In fact, tensions have risen so high between Hermione and Danny at the moment - for a while, actually - that they got into a big fight and decided they'll be better as friends. I have little doubt that they will get back together, but in the meantime, Danny is rather busy with Katie Bell, to Hermione's annoyance.

Non-verbal spells are now expected, not only in Defence Against the Dark Arts, but in Charms and Transfiguration too. I frequently look over at my classmates in the common room or at mealtimes to see them purple in the face and straining as though they have overdosed on U-No-Poo; but I know that they are really struggling to make spells work without saying incantations aloud. It is a relief to get outside into the greenhouses; we are dealing with more dangerous plants than ever in Herbology, but at least we are still allowed to swear loudly if the Venomous Tentacula seizes us unexpectedly from behind.

One result of our enormous workload and the frantic hours of practising non-verbal spells is that Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione and I have so far been unable to find time to go and visit Hagrid. He has stopped coming to meals at the staff table, an ominous sign, and on the few occasions when we have passed him in the corridors or out in the grounds, he mysteriously failed to notice us or hear our greetings.

"We've got to go and explain," says Hermione, looking up at Hagrid's huge empty chair at the staff table the following Saturday at breakfast.

"We've got Quidditch tryouts this morning!" says Ron. "And we're supposed to be practising that Aguamenti charm for Flitwick! Anyway, explain what? How are we going to tell him we hated his stupid subject?"

"We didn't hate it!" I say.

"Speak for yourself, I haven't forgotten the Skrewts," says Ron darkly. "And I'm telling you now, we've had a narrow escape. You didn't hear him going on about his gormless brother - we'd have been teaching Grawp how to tie his shoelaces if we'd stayed."

"I hate not talking to Hagrid," says Hermione, looking upset.

"We'll go down after Quidditch," Harry assures us. I, too, am missing Hagrid, although like Ron I think that we are better off without Grawp in our lives. "But trials might take all morning, the number of people who have applied." He looks slightly nervous at confronting the first hurdle of his captaincy, so I give his hand a little squeeze. He shoots me a grateful look. "I dunno why the team's this popular all of a sudden."

"Oh, come on, Harry," I say, suddenly impatient. "It's not Quidditch that's popular, it's you! You've never been more interesting, and, frankly, you've never been more fanciable."

Ron gags on a large piece of kipper. I spare him one look of disdain before turning back to Harry.

"Everyone knows you and Danny've been telling the truth now, don't they?" Hermione says. "The whole wizarding world has had to admit that you were right about Voldemort being back and that you really have fought him twice in the last two years and escaped both times. And now they're calling Harry the 'Chosen One' - well, come on, can't you see why people are fascinated by you both?"

"And you've been through all that persecution from the Ministry when they were trying to make out you were unstable and a liar," I say. "You can still see the marks where that evil woman made you write with your own blood, but you stuck to your story anyway..."