Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four

Despite the Harry and Cho situation, I feel happier for the rest of the weekend than I have done all term. Harry, Danny and Ron spend much of Sunday catching up with all their homework again, and although this can hardly be called fun, the last burst of autumn sunshine persists, so rather than sitting hunched over tables in the common room they take their work outside and lounge in the shade of a large beech tree on the edge of the lake. Hermione and I, who of course are up to date with all our work, bring more wool outside with us and bewitch our knitting needles so that they flash and click in midair beside us, producing more hats and scarves.

Knowing we are doing something to resist Umbridge and the Ministry, and that I am a key part in the rebellion, gives me a feeling of immense satisfaction. I keep reliving Saturday's meeting in my mind: all those people, coming to Harry and Danny to learn Defence Against the Dark Arts...and the looks on their faces as they heard some of the things they have done...and Cho praising their performance in the Triwizard tournament (although this sends a shiver of anger through me) - knowing all those people do not think my boyfriend and twin lying weirdos, but people to be admired, buoy me up so much that I am still cheerful on Monday morning, despite the imminent prospect of all my least favourite classes.

*

"Me," I hear Ron saying, sounding rather disheveled. "I didn't realise that would happen. It's not fair!" he adds to Harry and Danny, as the girls head off for the portrait hole, still giggling madly. "Hermione and Dawn are allowed in our dormitory, how come we're not allowed -?"

"Well, it's an old-fashioned rule," I say. I have just slid neatly on to a rug in front of them and am getting to my feet, "but it says in Hogwarts: A History, that the founders thought boys were less trustworthy than girls. Anyway, why were you trying to get in here?"

"To see you - look at this!" says Ron, dragging us over to the noticeboard.

Hermione and I's eyes slide rapidly down the notice. Our expressions become stony. It reads:

BY THE ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS

All student organisations, societies, teams, groups and clubs are henceforth disbanded.

An organisation, society, team, group or club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of five or more students.

Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge).

No student organization, society, team, group or club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.

Any student found to have formed, or belong to, an organisation that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor

"Someone must have blabbed to her!" says Ron angrily.

"They can't have," says Hermione in a low voice.

"You're so naïve," says Ron, "you think just because you're all honourable and trustworthy -"

"No, they can't have done, because we put a jinx on that piece of parchment we all signed," I say grimly. "Believe me, if anyone's run off and told Umbridge, we'll know exactly who they are and they will really regret it."

"What'll happen to them?" says Ron eagerly.

"Well, put it this way," says Hermione, "it'll make Eloise Midgeon's acne look like a couple of freckles. Come on, let's get down to breakfast and see what the others think...I wonder whether this has been put up in all the houses?"