The Quidditch Final

"He - he sent us this," I say, both of us holding out the letter. I planned to tell them smugly about my news, act all bad girl. But I can't now. Not after I hear about this.

Harry and Danny take it. The parchment is damp, and enormous teardrops have smudged the ink so badly in places that it is very difficult to read.

"They can't do this," says Harry, when he's finished. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad frightened the Committee into it," says Hermione, me and her wiping our eyes. Danny takes her hand. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only we can't see any hope...nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," says Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione, Dawn. I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!" I cry.

Hermione flings her arms around Ron's neck and breaks down completely. I break down, too, but not in anyone's arms. Ron, looking quite terrified, pats Hermione very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione draws away. I bite my lip. Danny is looking away, anger in his eyes.

"Ron, we're really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobs.

"Oh - well - he was old," says Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she has let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might let me get an owl now."

Hermione turns to the rest of us. "Um...we have something yo tell you," she glances quickly Danny. "Danny and I...well...we thought that we were both trying too hard to make it work, but we both like different - um, I mean, we don't really like each other as much as we once did. Angelina Johnson asked Danny out as soon as she heard about this, so..." She trails off, glancing worriedly at me.

"Well, isn't this a surprise!" I say in an upbeat tone. "So are you and Angelina going out now, Danny?"

Danny nods without looking at me. I know exactly what's been going on.

Danny's been cheating on Hermione with Angelina. I know I should be angry - believe me, I am - but I can't help feeling excited. Danny's just given me a brilliant idea.

****************************************

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in makes it impossible for Harry, Danny, Ron, Hermione and I to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Our only chance of talking to him is during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seems numb with shock at the verdict.

"'S all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh two looked up for me, Hermione, Dawn. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."

"There's still the appeal!" says Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

We are walking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead we can see Malfoy, who is walking with Crabbe and Gregory, and keeps looking back, laughing derisively.

"'S no good, Ron," says Hagrid sadly as we reach the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..."

Hagrid turns around and hurries back towards his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"

Malfoy, Crabbe and Gregory have been standing just inside the castle doors, listening.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" says Malfoy. "And he's supposed to be our teacher!"