Limited

Nick ^^^ or >>>>

UNEDITED

The Newspaper room was claustrophobic with the thirty members standing around. None of the seats in the room were taken. Ms. Whales stood at the front of the classroom in front of the windows, her arms crossed.

When Nick and I entered the room, we quickly went to go stand next to her, asking her why we were in here. She told us to wait a few minutes and that we would find out when everyone else was going to find out what is happening.

It took a couple minutes for everyone to enter the room and find a place to stand. The nerves made us not want to sit down because when everyone in the Newspaper department are in the same room, the news we receive is quite negative.

"I know that all of you are wondering why you are in this room, especially when some of you sophomores have never even been in the same room as the senior editors," Ms. Whales started out. "But sophomores, you guys can celebrate being in the same room later and asking for autographs when the meeting is over." She lowered her gaze to a book that was on her desk, "The yearbook staff numbers are going to be lowered due to early graduation and at the beginning of the school year, we were already had little interest in making the yearbook.

"So, due to this, I have selected a number of you to be moved into the yearbook class, some sophomores and some juniors. Seniors," addressing us, "if you want to be moved to the yearbook you can, and if you have a free period, you can also come by and help on the yearbook. And you guys get to pick five juniors and three sophomores to stay on Newspaper and then the rest go to yearbook, making it thirteen in Newspaper and twenty on yearbook.

"Once Seniors have chosen their eight students, tell me and then Newspaper will have their own money and then I will talk to the new yearbook members." She paused, glancing at everyone in the room, "I will give you guys a few minutes to decide." She walks to the small door that separates the newspaper room from the journalism and walks through it, closing her door behind her.

The whole room released a breath that they had been holding and looked at the five seniors in the room.

Nick and I exchanged looks, wondering who should be the first people to stay in newspaper. He started to talk first, "For those of you who want to work in yearbook, go next door to the journalism room."

Everybody in the room looked at each other, watching to see who was going to be the first one to go to yearbook. The first one to walk over was a sophomore, saying that she was going to have two more opportunities to be in Newspaper and did not want to take somebody's spot. The rest who followed her were most of the sophomores and two juniors.

By the time everyone who wanted to go to yearbook was gone, we were left with three sophomores and seven juniors.

Nick continued being the leader of the meeting. "Okay, we need to figure out who is going to be moving onto yearbook staff. We just need two more juniors to move on and then Ms. Whales can tell us what is going to happen on both staffs. Can some of you do both? I am almost positive that some of you will have an off period next semester and can do both."

That swayed one of the juniors. One down, one more to go.

Nick glanced over at me and whispered in my ear, "Please."

I closed my eyes and breathed in, thinking of a way to convince them. "I know that a couple of you were in photojournalism and being on yearbook requires you to also take pictures and go to pep rallies. But you do not write stories. And it is not really year round but it is something to do."

"Then why don't you join the yearbook staff?" some sophomore in the back of the classroom commented.

"Because I am actually going to try and pursue a job and journalism or photojournalism," I explained to the person.