Deadline

Please comment and vote.

UNEDITED

One Month Later...

The newspaper and yearbook staff were buzzing with excitement as we stood in the staff room that was standing room only.

"I'm sure that all of you have heard the rumors about the school having a winter formal for the first time this year," Ms. Whales started out. "And most of you don't believe those rumors because you have heard about this rumor since you started high school, but this time, it is real."

The entire room celebrated with cheers.

"And we are going to have a spread about in the yearbook and an article about in the newspaper in the last online issue," Whales explained. "Does anyone have any questions?"

Nick raised his hand in the air and Whales called on him. "When is it?"

"December twelfth."

Then the class went into an uproar.

"That is three weeks away," someone shouted out. "How do they expect us to pay for the dance and get dates that quickly?"

"I'm sure that you can manage," she said jokingly. Whales shrugged her shoulders. "I've heard that instead of renting out a venue, like they do for prom and homecoming, sometimes, they are going to hold it in the gyms. They don't want students paying a lot of money for something that is happening last minute, plus, they couldn't get a venue this late in the year."

"Do you mean gyms, as in we are going to be using multiple gyms?"

She nodded, "The seniors get their own gym, the main gym, while everyone else who can buy a ticket are going to be gym B or gym C."

"What if you are asked out by a senior, but you're a underclassman, is it okay to go in the main gym?"

"I'm sure it is as long as your date can verify it." Whales looked around the staff room and noticed that there were no more questions. "If that is all, I'll dismiss you but I would like to talk to the photojournalists."

The four of us groaned and waited for everyone else to leave the room. As Nick was walking passed me, he whispered in my ear, "Can we talk outside?" I nodded and he gave me a small smile.

What is the matter with him?

Once the room was emptied except for the photojournalists and Ms. Whales, she passed out the printed issue of the newspaper for this six weeks that was coming out next week. I quickly found the junior photojournalists articles and read over them.

One was about the controversy between black men and white cops (Ferguson) and added a few more info about the other cases that has happened around the United States (Baltimore, New York chokehold death, and the pool incident in McKinney, Texas). They had comments from some of the students, from different grade levels and different ethnic background, what they thought of these incidents. That is going to get a lot of comments.

The other article was about ten new toys that were going to be arriving on the shelves at the end of November. They had talked to the product managers of the toys and asked them what they expected to see from their products 'productivity' during the month of Christmas. There were also pictures of the new products.

The article about the controversy was the main article, beating the toy one by a long shot.

"I have to say, these are probably the best articles that I have read from any photojournalists. The people that are in my photojournalist class right now, would write something about their favorite teacher or something that required them to do little research and just talk to their friends," Whales explained. "I'm very excited to see what the seniors will produce, you have one month left. I hope that they are all brilliant."