Running Shoes

Oliver ^^ or >>> depending what you are reading on

The song on the side is by The Stars of Track and Field, just thought the band name fit the chapter.

UNEDITED

Ms. Whales kept typing on her computer, trying to figure out who on the newspaper and photojournalism team could go on the bus to the cross country meet in Plano. She was trying to pair a photojournalism with a newspaper person, which she normally does with any sport that is coming up. But if one person cannot make it, one usually goes all by their self and tries to do both of the jobs.

Sometimes that fails though because there are only five of us in photojournalism and thirty people in newspaper. So, to make it even, three photographers and five newspaper people get to go to the main sport events.

For the HUGE football games, like the one that is going to happen on Friday, everyone is going, but the photographers have to be paired up.

When paired up, the two people can discuss what needs to be photographed and what needs to be asked and talked about when interviewing the players.

"Autumn," Ms. Whales calls out, "can you come up here?"

I take one more glance at a picture that I took this morning at the volley ball players conditioning and decided to delete the photo. I just went because Ms. Whales wanted a post-season follow up for volley ball. No idea why, volley ball did not do so good this year. And no one interviewed them.

I walked up to Ms. Whales, "Who is my partner for tonight?" I shook my head, hoping that she did not catch how wrong that sounded. "I mean, who is going to be with me at the meeting tonight?" There we go.

"I was thinking about you being paired with Nick," she told me.

"The senior or sophomore?" I asked her. There was no way I wanted to work with a sophomore who just entered newspaper and will be asking questions every five minutes like a puppy outside for the first time. Sophomores barely get to travel off campus adding to the caffeine-ness. Seniors are more composed, well, the serious ones are more composed.

She clicked her tongue and checked her roll sheet, "The senior, Nick. The sophomore Nick is going to interview the football coaches and have a story up by lunch tomorrow; so, he is staying here for the day. Are you going to ride the bus or are you going to drive by yourself?"

I need to pick up Oliver from day-care, both mom and dad are staying out late tonight. "I think I am going to drive myself," I took out my phone, "Where is it exactly?"

"Um," she typed on her computer, "Plano West... it is about forty minutes from here. You have two hours until the meet starts. Let me call Nick and tell him the plan. Have you worked with Nick before?"

"I've been in the same room as him, but not paired with him," I explained to him.

She nodded while grabbing her phone and started to type in Nick's phone number in it. "Hello, Nick," she started out, "Are you still on campus?" "Okay, well, your partnered with Autumn for the Cross Country meet. She is going to drive herself there." "If you need a ride, the bus should be-" She paused and refreshed the computer page. "Nope, we just lost our bus. Do you need a ride?" She put the phone on her shoulder, "Can you give Nick a ride?"

I sighed and nodded, he will have to deal with a little boy in the car, but hopefully he likes children.

"Autumn can drive you to the Cross Country meet and back," she offered. "That works for you?" "Great, well, start to head over here and she can take you." "See you when you get here." She hung up on Nick and jumped out of her chair and hugged me quickly. "Thank you! Thank you!" She pulled away, "Now, I just need to talk to the other people and see if they can get a ride by themselves or ride with the runners." Her eyes widened, "But what if the coaches do not want the newspaper students on the bus?"