Changing

Not quite to my goal, but close enough.

Please do not forget to comment and vote.

UNEDITED

I found Jace at a Starbucks sipping a cup of coffee. "What are you doing here?" I asked him, sitting down besides him.

He furrowed his eyebrows, looking down at the cup in his hand then back at me, "You know what," his eyes widened, "I have absolutely no idea. One moment I was at home, doing homework and then you showed and it looks like I'm not at home anymore. How did that happen?" He joked.

I slapped him on the arm, "I meant drinking coffee not actually physically here."

He shrugged his shoulders, "Studying for Collin's class. I have a quiz next class and if I do not pass this class this semester then my mom won't allow me to drive my car until I graduate. Do you think you can tutor me?"

"Probably not," I told him, and his shoulders sagged, "I am barely keeping up with what he is saying in most classes. Mostly because he doesn't talk about anything that we are actually learning about; he usually lectures us about whatever he wants to."

"Yeah," Jace nodded, "Collin does get sidetracked easily but he is a good teacher when he needs to be."

"The best part of the day is his lectures though," I told him. "The only thing that are bad about them is when he tells the underclassmen that grades are not important. Grades are not important until senior year. And he wishes that they would not tell us our rank until senior year because if you really wanted to be in the top something, then you should work at it without knowing where you stand."

Jace furrowed his eyebrows, "You actually listen to his lectures?"

I nodded, "Don't you?" Jace shook his head. "You really should, you can learn a lot from his lectures about different kinds of stuff but do not take them to seriously. They will get caught in your head and you will lose your determination to do well in school."

"Is that how you found Alice?" he asked.

I nodded. "I had Collin sophomore year and his first lecture to us was about grades and how they do not matter and I started to believe that. A month later, I found Alice and found myself addicted to cigarettes."

* * * * *

We were losing by fifteen points and I had stopped taking pictures because the entire team felt horrible and all of them had lost their smiles. The other newspaper staff members had stopped taking notes and just stood behind the coaches and the players. The scouts had left five minutes ago once the spirit had left the team.

I packed up my camera bag and sat down on the bench.

A couple of the senior second stringers sat next to me, complaining about their last game being a loss.