Spiraling

I smoothed the bottom of my dress down as I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was in loose curls, thanks to Laura, and fell over the top of the dress. I picked up a curl and twirled it around my finger, admiring the softness. 

"Night Owl, it's time to go," Alice called me as she entered my bedroom. She stopped as soon as she saw me. "Autumn, you look-"

Laura came up behind her, "like you are ready to go. Alice, are you ready to go?" Laura stood next to me in the mirror, running her hands through her hair, getting out the tangles. "So date, are you planning on ditching me in the middle of the night to hang out with your secret lover?" 

I rolled my eyes at her. "He's not a secret lover if you already know about him." I looked away from my friends and lowered my eyes to the ground. "And yes, maybe I will be hanging out with someone else that is not my date."

Laura grinned at me, "That's good because I might also ditch you to hang out with someone else."

Alice raised an eyebrow, "Who?" 

She shrugged her shoulders, "I just want someone to ask me to dance while Autumn over here is getting her  midnight dance with Evan." 

Oliver came into the room took one look at us before he 'fainted' onto my bed. "I think I just fall in love with princesses." All of us laughed at him; Laura and Alice walked up to him and each kissed a cheek. Oliver's face flushed a tomato red and he stole one of my pillows to hide his face. He mumbled something into it but none of us could make it out. 

"What?" Alice asked Oliver playfully, tickling his stomach. 

Oliver laughed, taking the pillow off of his face. "I think this is the best day of my life," he giggled as he spoke. 

"Well, knight in shining armor, will you like to whisk us off to the ball?" Laura asked him, lending a hand to him.

His face flushed again but he took her hand. He glanced up at Alice and she offered her hand to him as well. 

I threw my hands up in the air, "What about me?" 

Oliver stuck his tongue out at me. "I already know you love me. And I only have two hands."

"I love you too buddy."

"See! I knew you loved me."

Oliver, Laura, and Alice walked in front of me as we reached the door. Mom and dad stood at the door, glaring at Jace who could not stay still. He shuffled his feet from side to side, trying to look for a way to escape. 

"What are your intentions tonight?" Dad asked Jace.

"Dance?" 

"Is that a question or a statement?" 

Jace swallowed the lump in his throat and said his answer with a little more confidence. 

Mom bumped into Dad, "Max, be polite."

"Listen to Logan, dad," I said once we reached the bottom of the stairs. "And Jace isn't my date. He's going with Alice."

"Oh, I know," he stated. "But Alice is under our care for the moment and I will look after the both of you like she was my own daughter. Same goes for Laura but it is only for the times that she is visiting." He smiled at them both.

"Well, thank you Riles," Laura said. "I don't think you have every said anything so genuine about Alice and I. I fell blessed that I am such good friends with Autumn." 

He rolled his eyes, "Sure you do, Laura. You three have fun. Jace, I hope that you realize that if you hurt any of these women, I will come after you. Do you under stand?"