Happiness

Don't forget to vote and comment

UNEDITED

Four hours later, as Insidious 2 ended, I noticed that Laura and Alice had fallen asleep on my bed. I quickly got out of the middle of the bed and made my way downstairs to have a late night sandwich. Once I reached the kitchen, I found dad and Oliver making themselves a bowl full of ice cream... and a mess.

"Can I join you two?" I asked them.

Apparently, they had not heard me come down the stairs because they both looked up from their bowls surprised, but none the less, they smile widely at me. "Come over here, Night Owl," Oliver gestured for me to join him.

"Where did you hear that, buddy?" I asked him.

"I heard Alice say it," he explained. "Come help us make sundaes."

I took the ice cream box from dad and started to make my own bowl of ice cream. "What conspired you two to start make ice cream bowls?"

Dad rubbed Oliver's head, making his hair messy, "This one over here, could not sleep and I found him wondering around the house and I suggested that we make sundaes. But Oliver doesn't like bananas."

"Dad?" I caught his attention. "There are no bananas in the house."

He laughed. "There could be if anyone in this house liked bananas." Dad went to the pantry to get some toppings for the sundaes.

When we were done eating our sundaes, Oliver was sent to his bedroom and dad and I were left cleaning the mess in the kitchen.

"How are you doing kiddo? With the article that you have to write for your school?" he asked me as he threw away a paper towel.

"It's coming around quite well,"I told him. "I'm going to have to send it to Whales in the next week and I hope that I am going to be able to get the front cover."

"Front cover?"

I nodded, "There's this girl in newspaper that felt like since a junior was able to have a cover story, the seniors could too. I'm nervous that I will not be able to get the front cover. I want it, but the girl also wants it to."

"I'm sure you will get it."

I shook my head, "I don't know what she is even writing about. I'm over here writing about six word stories and I still have not interviewed people for their six word stories. I want to have a enough stories in there so people are interested in what other people have gone through."

"Do you want mine?"

I looked up at my dad. "What would yours be?"

"Boy. Girl. Daughter. Turned dad, daughter," he said quickly, counting on his fingers.

I tilted my head, "You don't talk about her much."

"Who?"

"My real mother," I said. "Who was she? What was she like? Do I look like her? Do I act like her?"

He shook his head, laughing. "Your mother was the one who named you, Autumn. She always liked the name Autumn and it was her favorite season. She was someone who always looked for the best things in life." He sighed, "You actually look like me more than her. Your brown eyes and your hair color are more me. But your face structure and height are all her though. Sometimes when you smile, you do act like her, but you have been around me your entire life since the womb-"

I scrunched up my face, in disgust, "Dad."

"Sorry," he apologized, "and I think that you are more me. Every once in a while, a feel like you are her but then you do something that brings me back to reality."