Royal Treatment

UNEDITED

After school on Monday, before I went home, I visited my neighbor's house.

I had printed out the newspaper once school was out and had the plan of putting my pictures in my drawer of my newspaper pictures when I noticed that Evan did not show up at school. I had printed out extra stuff that I planned on giving to him.

I knew this was his first making it in the school paper, and colleges usually look at that sort of thing, so that I thought that he would like to know that he is actually in something.

Raising my hand slowly, I rapped my hand on the door, waiting for Evan to open the door. A few moments later, Evan opened the door and his eyes widened when he recognized who I was. "What are you doing here, Fall?" he asked me, using the nickname he gave me. I waved the orange envelope in my hand before asking if I could enter the house. He vacillated for a little while before pushing the door out a bit further, "Sorry the mess, I could not sleep last night."

"It's fine," I said as I noted the shoes and clothes thrown askew on the ground in the living room. The kitchen had two broken plates resting on the sink, looking like he was in the process of cleaning up. "I just came to tell you about the newspaper." I handed him the envelope.

He opened it and took out the first page, raising an eyebrow. "You gave a printed version of the newspaper on the football game that we won?"

I took the paper out of his hand and felt embarrassed. "Sorry, a couple of papers in there are for my drawer at home," I explained to him as he took out a stack of pictures, about thirty of them were in his hand.

He gave the envelope back to me and flipped through the pictures. I remained five feet away from him, watching his eyes flicker with emotion as he flipped through the photographs.

"These are all of me," he whispered, still looking the the photos.

"Well, way not to make it sound stalkerish," I commented.

Evan chuckled a little but continued to look. "Why did you give me these pictures? I see my feet, me, and me running." He paused on a photo, I knew which photo he stopped at. The one he ran through the finish line with, running the meet.

His eyes were closed, and his whole face just looked relaxed and relief had flooded through him. He was wearing his uniform with his number taped to his stomach then there was a strip of the bottom of his jersey before the words FINISH LINE printed on a thin strip of paper rested at the bottom of the picture.

"Wow," he breathed out, "you can take really beautiful pictures."

"Thank you for remarking that," Evan stopped looking through the pictures and put them back in the envelope and finally took out the article on the cross country meet. "And to answer your question, I did not want the pictures I took to go to waste so I printed them off at walgreens and gave them to you. Do not flatter yourself, most people I have to take pictures of get the same treatment. And I get paid sometimes to do photo shoots."