Midnight Terror

Warning: Blood!!

Blood-curdling screams weren't something Grace wanted to hear, in dream or reality. Had she had to choose, however, she would have chosen for dreams.

Sadly, reality never was merciful.

The tangled sheets slipped around her legs as she woke with a start, snapping her head to see Hunter thrashing in pain, clawing at his neck between sobs and shrieks. Sickening dread clutched her stomach as, even in the pitch black of their room, dark gashes glared at her from his throat. The lamp on the bedside table tobbled as she kicked it, scrambling for his hands, fighting to take them from his skin.

Sickness boiled in her throat at the slick, warm lick of blood on her fingers, coating them slimy and unable to hold. Not that it would have made a difference, his strength, as a vampire was unmatched. The agonized shrieks of her fiance rang in her ears until they went numb.

With adrenaline through her veins, she scrambled from the bed, crashing to the floor as the sheets tugged her feet from underneath her. Still, she bolted to the living room, where she smashed her toe and clawed for the call button, connected to Tyler's room a floor below. Haunting fear chilled her skin with every agonized screech that echoed from the walls, the wind outside screaming much like him.

Moments later, the elevator chirped, Tyler calmly walking from the small space. Immediately his eyes found Grace, even in darkness and he rushed over.

'My lady! Are you alright?" His hand reached for her cheek.

Her slap smacked it away, grabbing his arm and leading him to her bedroom, where Hunter laid, coated in sweat and blood, blood-chilling screams turning his throat sore.

"Save him! Call the police!" Grace signed in a panic, the tears in her eyes forcing her vision blurry.

Tyler did nothing, standing in the doorway with even breaths. Seeming in a trance, he watched Hunter thrash and writhe. Only when Grace grabbed his arms, sobbing and shaking him, did he snap out of it.

"DO SOMETHING!!" She signed, sobbing. "Please!"

A shiver danced through his skin, the sight of his beloved Queen, begging with tears in her eyes, sent delicious chills through his skin. Still, he hated, no, despised, that she only begged for the safety of another man. Behind his lips, his teeth ground hard, before his hand slipped from his side and cupped her cheek. The softness of her skin was ruptured from her tear streaks, sending another chill through his skin.

Oh, how he couldn't wait to be the reason for her tears.

Still, he knew now was not the time to get aroused, with the future King still alive, he could not do much. So, for now, he forced words passed his lips. "Very well, my lady."

Relief sank Grace's shoulders, before she realized her beloved was clawing at his neck in wild abandon. Bolting to the bed, she struggled to grab his wrists, her fingertips slipping and sliding as Tyler flipped out his phone and called the police.

It took many minutes, even a century for the authorities to arrive, finding Grace kneeling on the bed, beside a still thrashing Hunter, caked and coated in blood, her dainty hands grasped helplessly at his wrists that dug deep into his neck. Tyler stood in the doorway, hands crossed over his chest, staring at the drama.

It took eight men. One to pry Grace from her beloved, three on each arm to restrain him and one to stick a sedative strong enough to kill a hundred human men into Hunter's vein.

When he was finally asleep, they rushed him off on a stretcher, a single female officer and three men staying behind. The bed was drenched in blood, sweat and tears. The mere sight of it made Grace sick.

"Miss?"

Vibrant red taunted Grace's eyes, laughing, mocking her, for her weakness, her inability to protect her lover, her-

"Miss?"

A waving hand snapped her from the red, redirecting her to ruby eyes. Her stomach again went sick.

"I'm sorry miss," The vampiric woman whispered. The thick hair of her head was pulled into a professional ponytail, curling around her shoulder like a thick, black snake. Thin lips opened to speak again. "I need you to answer some questions."

Grace hesitated for a bit. She wanted what? What did she want questions for? She was going to ask questions? Grace didn't answer, her eyes shifting back towards the bed, drawn with puppet strings to the vibrant color marring the fabrics.

"Miss?" The vampiric woman whispered again. "Please, I need you to answer some questions."

A calloused hand rested on her shoulder. "Alissya, this is the Mute Queen, she won't be able to talk, especially when she's in as much shock as she is."

Cottom muffled the two conversing Vampire's as Grace tossed her eyes back toward the bed. The remaining two officers conversed in one corner, seeming to talk about what had happened to the soon-to-be King. At the bedside was Tyler, staring at the sheets like a statue would a stranger. But...

Grace blinked, and it was gone.

Was that a smile, that had been on his face?