The Servant Boy

The door opened. Grace looked at a tall servant boy, his brown hair straight and neat, yet his eyes were opposite. His eyes held panic that she could tell he was struggling to hide.

"Welcome. How may I help you?" He asked, his voice strained and low.

"I'm here to deliver a pet," Tanner said, his voice confident.

The boy nodded, opening the door wider.

"Please come in."

They entered, and Grace couldn't help but be in awe. It was stunning. The ceiling was high with a golden chandelier dressed with flickering lights. The walls were dark brown, and the floor was wide enough to have a ball inside. The flooring was made of opaque black marble and felt cool on her feet. On one side, a pair of large dark oak double doors.

Tanner pulled her waist, making her walk as they neared a deep, spiraling stairway.

"Who is the pet addressed to?" The boy asked, stopping in front of the staircase, and he turned to them.

"Hunter Nightingale."

Grace could have sworn her heart stopped. The boy who had bought her was the Vampire King's son. Now knowing this, she was relieved. That girl was saved from a fate worse than death.

The boy's skin paled, yet his face stayed stone cold. He held out his hand.

"Very well. If you would give me her leash, I will escort her to his chambers."

Tanner hugged her waist, his hand gently sliding farther down.

"?!" Grace jumped.

"Alright, babe." He sighed. He leaned into her ear. "I'll see you around town." He nipped her ear.

"!!!!!"

He chuckled before handing the leash to the servant boy. He kissed her cheek before leaving.

The servant boy tugged her leash and began walking up the staircase. She followed, looking at the golden designs of the railing and stairs themselves. Golden paint glistened in stunning designs. Flowers and vines held golden fruit, trees and bushes dressed the railing, and veins of gold pulsed in the marble stairs.

Less than half of the stairway jutted into a hallway, doors lining the left side as they ascended.

The servant continued to climb.

Soon, Grace was panting heavily, leaning against the railing as her lungs screamed for rest. It's been a while since she's had to use her legs so much. The servant looked at her with worry.

"Would you like to rest?" He asked.

She nodded, sitting on the stairs.

They sat in silence for a minute as Grace caught her breath.

"I'm so sorry."

She looked at him, tilting her head to show her confusion.

"I'm so sorry that The prince chose you. It's a fate worse than death."

Her eyes widened slightly. She then smiled kindly, placing a hand on his arm. She looked into his eyes, and he hid sadness deep into his foggy gaze.

"What?" He asked.

Grace moved her hand to his face, placing a slender finger beside his eye, and grazed it down in the path of a tear.

"Am I sad?" He asked as if to clarify.

She nodded.

He shook his head, removing her hand from his face.

"I'm fine." He stood. "Let's go. We don't have far to go."

She stood, and they continued up the stairs.

Finally, they came to another hallway, the staircase completely melting into the wide path.

They walked in silence. The hallway was practically empty of doors except for a few. They stopped in front of the only pair of double doors, and The renovators dressed the doors with veins of emerald green.

"Green is his favorite color." The servant boy explained as Grace stared in awe, her fingers tracing the veins. He looked at her, placing his hand on an engraved handle. "It's time for you to meet your new master."

She sighed. How could she forget? She was here because she had been bought for a single man's desires and his desires only. She was not here to make friends.

She looked at him. He met her gaze, smiling encouragement. Without a second thought, she hugged him, giving a silent thanks. His eyes widened in surprise, his body still before he gently wrapped his arms around her.

"good luck." He whispered.

She nodded.

Breaking the contact, he raised his hand to the door and sent her one more encouraging smile. He knocked, his face once again becoming stone.

"Sir, your pet has been delivered." He said plainly.

Grace straightened her posture. She didn't want to look weak.

The door swung open. And there he stood. Her new master, in black jeans and a tight green t-shirt, the muscles of his jaw twitching in annoyance.

"About time." He growled.

He grabbed her arm, yanking her into the room, the leash slipping from the servant boy's hand and trailing behind her figure. The door slammed shut behind her. Finally, he released her arm and walked to the large windows on the other side.

"Take off your collar." He growled, his back still turned.

She tilted her head in confusion before complying, letting the collar fall to the floor.

"Come here." He said.

Her feet moved until she stood beside him, looking only at the floor she stood upon.

Suddenly, long fingers wrapped around her chin, forcing her to lock gazes with her master.

The vampire prince.

He studied her face, his deep, rich blood-red eyes scanning her. She stayed still, not wanting to anger him with her discomfort.

"You'll do." He said suddenly.

Before she could express her confusion, he pushed her onto the large window sill.

"!!!"

He lowered his head to her neck and nibbled her skin.

"Play along."