Books to Read

Grace smiled gleefully as she noticed a sign she recognized. She rose her pinkie, then crossed both arms over her chest, then pointed towards Matthew. He blinked and smiled. Raising his fist, he nodded it up and down with the flick of his wrist. He then repeated her sign, raising his pinkie, then crossing his own arms and pointed to Grace, who gave a closed eyed smile. 

They were in Hunter's large library, located near the entry hall. The walls were dressed head to toe with dusty brown, dark red, midnight black, and deep blue spines of different books, with the occasional brightly colored comic. The only wall free of books was the entry wall, the two large double doors of solid oak. They sat at a small table, like one you would see in a school library. The wood was light and smooth, swirls of it's time as a tree tattooed naturally into the flesh. The chairs they sat on were made of hickory, the seats cushioned with embroidered pillows. 

"Now, we need to work on having conversations. You've gotten it down pretty well." Matthew complimented, patting her head. 

She grinned, her chest feeling bubbly from the compliment. He took away his hand, giving a sign.

"How are you?" He signed.

Grace blinked, slowly registering each hand sign before beaming and redoing it.

"How are you?" She repeated. 

"Do you know what that means?" He asked. She nodded.

They continued into the hours of noon, not even registering the grumble in their stomachs, too caught up in the exciting lesson. They both startled when a loud booming rap at the door echoed through the large room before one of the oak doors swung gently open, silent to the ear.

"Please pardon me." Tyler said, holding a silver tray on his arm. "But I do believe you had skipped lunch." He finished with a small smile.

Right then, their stomachs growled, and blush flushed their cheeks as they chuckled and giggled.

Tyler placed the tray onto the table. Glass plates sat on the silver, holding two sandwiches, one a PB and J, another a B.L.T.

Grace smiled and gently grabbed the PB and J, while Matthew grabbed the other. They smiled as they took a bite, relieved to fill their empty stomachs.

"How is Hunter doing on his sign language? Do you know?" Matthew asked the servant.

"He's doing well. How is my lady doing?" Tyler asked.

Matthew smiled and patted her head, her cheeks full of smooth peanut butter and grape jelly. She looked up innocently, confused on the sudden gesture, causing him to chuckle.

"She's doing quite well. She's a fast learner, I'm sure she'll be able to sign an entire conversation by tomorrow."

Tyler forced to suppress his grimace, displeased with the friendly contact. He bowed, his fist clenched behind his back.

"That's wonderful." He smiled kindly at Grace. "His highness will be very pleased to hear that." 

She smiled and nibbled her sandwich while the boys continued to converse, looking around the room until she spotted a familiar spine, the title in gold. She stood, toddling over and plucking the book from the shelf, one hand holding the snack to her mouth as she nibbled. A smile grew on her lips as she read the title. 

'Starting Line'. A romance novel she had read years ago.

She hurried back towards the boys, who were busy talking about communication and held the book in front of her, hopping happily in place, her snack placed between her lips. They looked to her, confused about her behavior before zeroing in on the book in her hands. Matthew smiled. 

"Marcie read it once." He said, leaning on crossed arms. "She said it's really good and a tearjerker. Have you read it?" He asked.

She nodded. Sitting down at the table, she signed to Tyler, who tilted his head in confusion.

"She's asking if it's alright to take the book." Matthew translated, patting her head again.

She smiled, unaware of Tyler's tensing state. 

"You would have to ask Lord Hunter, it is after all, his library." He placed his hand on her shoulder, making her look to him. "Why not you go ask him?"

She nodded, hoping from her seat and skipping from the library, the book to her chest. 

She ran up the stairs and knocked on his door, swinging it open. 

Only to freeze. 

Her skin went pale.

The book fell from her arms, landing with a thud.

In front of her was Hunter and Marcie, her legs between his, her body flat against his own as his forearms held up his back, his hair a mess. 

And their lips pressed together. 

She stared wide eyed as they pulled apart, whipping their heads towards her, their eyes wide. Hunter swallowed and pushed Marcie away.

"G-Grace it's not what you--" 

She slammed the door, racing down the stairs, her eyes burning. Hunter's voice called out to her, his footsteps thudding down the stairs after her. She turned into a hallway, ripping open a door and flying inside and under the bed, just barely squeezing underneath. Tears pooled in her eyes and fell down her cheeks and she covered her mouth to hold in a sob. 

Why was she so upset?  Why did it hurt to see her "boyfriend" kissing another girl when she knew they would never last? Why does it hurt so bad? These questions racked her brain, making her even more distraught. She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping to stop the tears, only to have more fall. She pulled at her hair, sniffling.

She could hear them calling for her, saying it was a misunderstanding. She didn't believe it, she knew that was stupid.

But right now...

She needed to be alone.  

***********

Sorry it took so long! I had a little bit of trouble with this chapter and I know it sucks but here it is!

Enjoy!