What A Week

True to his word, Hunter stayed nearby. Only when Willy shooed him off with a withering glare would he go eat and shower. Of course, it was never without huffing and puffing, but to Grace, it was worth a couple of giggles.

The stitches were doing well, the skin was sensitive and sore, but healing.

To pass her time, she took to reading, continuing from where she last bookmarked her favorite. She asked for other books to be delivered to her room, a small stack taken home on the right bedside table.

Willy and Marcie also brought it upon themselves to bring her homework. There were many things a future Queen needed to know: city borders, negotiation tactics, etiquette - the list goes on. The end of the day left her dizzy and tired, with Hunter by her side stroking her knuckles.

However, of course, it was never so simple. Hunter has been off. His smiles were tight, and heavy bags plagued his eyes, even when he slept deeply beside her. Nervous tapping against his thigh was a common occurrence.

And yet, no matter how many times Grace pressed for answers, he would cut her off with a clasp around her hands and a kiss on her lips. He would whisper "Everything is alright, don't you worry."

Of course, she always did. He was her boyfriend - someone she cared about. But his lips were sealed.

She went to Matthew, pleading to know why he wouldn't talk about his visit with her.

"Give him space, My Queen." He soothed. "He will tell you when he is ready. He just needs comfort, for now, okay?"

She had no choice but to accept it. As much as she wanted to know, the confusion and worry clawing at her chest, she waited. She waited while he randomly started crying, burying his face in her nape or chest, arms wrapped tight around her. She waited while he slept for worryingly long hours, creases pinching between his eyes that she would smooth away.

It was an agonizingly long wait. Grace hated it. Days went into a week and not a single peep of what had happened while he was there. Until one night, while they cuddled on her infirmary bed, a book shared between them, Hunter finally whispered,

"Beloved, do you think I'm a monster?"

The finger she poked between the pages paused in its turning. She looked up at him.

The bags under his eyes seemed to have gotten worse, despite the many hours she had seen him sleep. His sunken cheeks had filled out though, if just slightly. She closed the book.

"Why?" She signed.

His arms tightened around her, his face burying into her neck. A choke worked through his throat.

"They kept screaming that at me, the Lord didn't do anything to help either. Someone even threw a rock at me. They just kept screaming 'monster' and 'murderer'." He swallowed. "I really didn't mean to kill her." He whispered brokenly. "They- They kept threatening to kill you too!

Grace's heart skipped a beat.

He continued. "They-They said it was only fair since I killed someone of high station, and" He choked. "And no matter what I said, they just kept saying it was only fair!"

The grip on her book tightened. Her jaw ticked and worked.

"I didn't know what to do..." He groaned. "I was so scared I nearly ran all the way home halfway through the funeral. But then they would have laughed at me."

A gentle kiss to his lips hushed him, her fingers combing through his hair to soothe him.

"Don't worry, beloved." She signed, a glare flashing in her eyes. "Let me take care of it."