Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

            Two months have passed. Now it is the 15th of April. Easter is quickly approaching, but no one really talks about it. We all know what happened when we tried to celebrate a major holiday, and no one wants to repeat that. So we just go along our day as usual and don’t talk about it. I have to be even more careful about hiding my self harm scars now. David’s scars have almost completely faded away, and the scars I give myself are now extremely easy to see. The Always scar looks as fresh as always. David cut that one pretty deep.

            I walk to the courtyard after dinner and lay down on the ground between the pool and the garden. I just look at the stars through the skylight. After a couple of minutes, I feel someone lying beside me and I smile.

            “Hey Ben.”

            “Hey Jules.”

            “Ben, why do you always call me that?” I ask, looking at Ben. He shrugs.

            “I call you that because usually that’s what people shorten Julie to, and that’s pretty similar to your name. And plus, you’re a jewel.” I blush and look back at the stars. I catch myself playing with the heart necklace Ben gave me. I never take it off, except for when I’m taking a shower.

            “Ben?” I ask.

            “Yes?”

            “Do you ever just think about traveling through the stars? The feeling of being weightless? I think about it all the time. How it would feel to not have a care in the world. To not have to worry about people’s ridicule. To be able to say and do what I want. To be free.” From the corner of my eye, I can see Ben smile slightly.

            “I do, Jules. I think about it a lot.” Ben takes my hand and squeezes it gently. We stay like that for a while, Ben and I holding hands, looking at the sky. We don’t talk. We just look at the stars.

            And that’s the thing. I could never do this with David. We’d have to be doing something. But with Ben, we can just lay here and just spend time with each other, even if we don’t talk. And that’s why a relationship with David would never last, while one with Ben can.

            Eventually, my eyelids begin to droop, and we decide to go back to my room. We wouldn’t want a repeat of Valentine’s Day. Ben and I leave the courtyard and travel upstairs, hand in hand. We make it to my room and lay on my bed. Ben wraps his hands around my waist and I bury my head in his neck. Just as I’m drifting off to sleep, I faintly hear Ben whisper something into my ear. I wouldn’t realize what exactly Ben said until the next morning.

            “I love you.”

            And that morning was the last time I felt truly happy since.

A/N: Okay sorry this is such a short chapter. I promise you the next one will be much more entertaining ;). So you peoples will just have to settle with some Beniette fluff for now. <3 Julie