Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

            The next day, I wake up, the pain in my stomach just a dull throb. I groan and stretch my legs, scratching them as I do so. I sit up and wait for David to unlock the cellar door. But he never comes. After about fifteen minutes of waiting, I get impatient and wake up Chloe.

            “Chloe! Chloe, wake up!” I say, waking her up.

            “What?” Chloe asks tiredly.

            “Why hasn’t David come down to get us yet? It has to be eight at least and it looks like David already got Marsa and Ethan. So where is he?” Chloe furrows her eyebrows and shrugs.

            “I don’t know. Did you try the door to see if it was unlocked?” I shake my head, feeling foolish for not thinking of that sooner.

            “Well let’s try it.” We walk up the steps and twist the doorknob. The door opens up to the hallway and I feel my cheeks flush in embarrassment.

            “Oh. I knew that.” I say stupidly as we step into the hallway. Chloe rolls her eyes and we take turns in the bathroom. Then we head to the dining room. As Marsa and Ethan serve us our food, David smiles warmly at me as if last night never happened. I smile back, wanting David to think I’ve fallen for his trick. He seems to buy it, and is very social throughout the entire meal.

            After breakfast, I casually confront David.

            “Hey.” I say.

            “Hi.” David answers back.

            “I was thinking that maybe we could play some games in the game room together.”

            “Um… S-Sure.” David says, stuttering slightly. Yes, David, the crazy, psychotic stalker/kidnapper gets nervous when the girl he kidnapped wants to spend time with him.

            We walk to the game room and start playing a bunch of different games. I beat him in Mario kart, and he beats me at Super Smash Bros Brawl. I totally destroy him at Assassin’s Creed 3, but he makes a comeback with Guitar Hero. We decide to relax before the tiebreaker, seeing as we did skip lunch.

            While we eat Fritos and Cheez-its, we decide to play Candor. It works like this: one person asks you a question, and you have to answer truthfully. Then you get to ask them a question. You keep playing until you get sick of it and both people have asked the same number of questions they answered.

We mainly ask each other stupid questions, like ‘what’s your favorite color?’ or ‘what kind of music do you listen to?’ David basically already knows all of my answers, since he’s been stalking me for seven years, but I learn quite a bit about him. I learn that his favorite color is green, he is 21 years old, his birthday is August 8th, he has no siblings, and he listens to grunge music (Mainly Nirvana).

There is one question that I’ve been itching to ask him, though. I need to know if he knows I self harm.

“Okay, so after this question, we should get to the tiebreaker.” I say.

“Okay. Ask away!” David exclaims.

“So, before you, uh, took me, did you… um…. Did you watch me when I was getting dressed, or in the shower?” If he didn’t, then he wouldn’t know that I self harm. Because, when I’m dressing, you can see my scars, and I self harm in the shower.