Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

            Another month went by, and a lot happened. Everyday after breakfast, I hang out with David. It’s not as intimate as the Just Dance incident, though. Generally, we just play games or watch Doctor Who or something like that. We do kiss sometimes, but it’s not as passionate as the first one.

            And then after lunch, I go to the library to ‘read,’ when I’m actually hanging out with Ben. We always meet in the horror section to talk, joke, and play video games. We play a lot of video games. Ben is pretty quiet, until you get him talking about video games. We could have a discussion about which Legend Of Zelda game is the best that would last all day. Usually, I just watch him play video games, like the Pokemon game I caught him playing that day. It’s usually the highlight of my day to hang out with Ben.

            After dinner, I hang out with Chloe, or just get some time to myself. This is basically my day to day schedule. Well, at least until the kiss.

            As usual, I happily walk to the library after lunch. As I walk up the steps to the second floor of the library, I suddenly get a feeling of foreboding. I stop walking and lean against the railing to breathe. After a few seconds, the feeling passes and I continue up the stairs.

            I walk into the first row of books in the horror section, Ben and I’s usual spot. I see Ben already there, as usual. He’s not wearing his normal dress, a green hoodie and dark green pants. One day, I asked why he didn’t always wear his Link outfit, and he said he only wears that on special occasions. This was one of those occasions.

            I smile and sit next to Ben, who, at the moment, is playing Pokemon.

            “Hey.” I say, smiling with my chin down slightly. Even though Ben is taller than me, I have a longer torso, so I’m taller than him sitting down.

            “Hey.” Ben says, smiling back at me.

            “Happy Halloween!” I exclaim, hugging Ben. He loves Halloween. Ben laughs and hugs me back before returning to his game.

            “Happy Halloween, Juliette.”

He has the cutest laugh, I think. I lean my head on Ben’s shoulder as he plays Pokemon. I think of how nice it would be to run away with Ben. To live in the country, and spend every second with him, and never have to see David again. Maybe have some kids and-wait. What am I saying? I can’t leave. Plus, Ben’s dead. How could we have kids? I don’t even like kids. Too high maintenance.

After a while, Ben closes his 3DS and turns to face me.

“Can I talk to you about something?” he asks.

“Sure, anything.” I respond.

“So, I think I like this girl. She’s really nice and cute, and I’ve liked her ever since I met her. But, I’m not sure if she likes me back. I want to tell her, but I don’t know how. What should I do?”

“Well,” I begin, “I think you should tell her. I’m sure she’ll like you back. I mean, who wouldn’t? You’re smart, cool, kind, like video games, and really funny. You’re a great guy and any girl would be lucky to have you.” And that’s when Ben kisses me.

I immediately kiss back and wrap my arms around Ben’s neck. Ben tenderly wraps his arms around my waist as butterflies fill my stomach. Fireworks explode as our lips move in sync. This is much better than when I kiss David. With David, it feels so fake. So wrong. But this kiss with Ben, it feels so right. I am in total and utter harmony as I kiss Ben.