Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Chloe and I sit down at the kitchen table and we start to eat. No one says a word. After we eat lunch, Chloe goes back to the living room while David and I clean up. Once the kitchen is all clean, I try to retreat back to Chloe, but David grabs my hand and turns me around to face him. He strokes the side of my face while I stare at the ground.

“Now Love,” David says sternly.

“You should look at people in the eyes, not stare at their shoes.” He pushes my chin up so I’m forced to look at his eyes. Admittedly, David’s eyes are really pretty. They’re a bright green with a hint of hazel, and they sparkle brighter than the brightest diamond.

After a few seconds, I pull my chin out of David’s grasp and spit on his shoes. At first, David looks furious, but he calms himself down and smiles.

“You haven’t changed one bit.” I scowl and leave the kitchen, sitting next to Chloe on the couch.

“So………” I say awkwardly.

“How’s your Doctor Who fanfic going?” Chloe and I chat aimlessly about stuff we’ve already discussed. It’s not like we can talk about anything important, with a crazy kidnapper in the other room who’s probably listening to our conversation.

 After a while, conversation fades off and we just sit there twiddling our thumbs. I see something out of the corner of my eye and look over to the wall. I glance out the dusty window and notice something moving outside. I can’t tell what it is, as the curtains are in the way, so I walk over to the window and move the curtains slightly. I look outside and see some trees and flowers and bushes. Nothing unusual.

Just as I’m about to walk back to the sofa, I see something moving again. I lean closer to the window and make out an outline of an animal behind a tree. No, not an animal. A human. It’s a guy with blonde hair. He has a green hat and shirt-like thing on with white stockings. He looks a lot like the character Link from Legend of Zelda. Except his eyes. I can’t even see his eyes. It just looks like dark pits. But that’s ridiculous. It’s probably just because he’s so far away.

But why is he here? No one in this area really role-plays except my friends and I. And besides, who would role-play this deep in the forest? Maybe he got lost or something. Which I doubt, since he doesn’t look worried or afraid.

The guy, who shall now be called Link, looks like he was searching for something. He turns around and spots me looking at him. He smirks, winks, and goes behind the tree. I don’t see him appear on the other side of the tree, which is weird, since it’s not a very big tree. I blink a few times, confused at what I just witnessed.

“What are you doing?” David asks behind me, making me jump. I quickly move away from the window and turn around. Unfortunately, when I turn around, I trip on David’s shoes and fall, sending us both to the ground. I land on David and he winces slightly.

“Sorry,” I mutter, blushing. I quickly standing up and brush my pants off.

“I’m such a klutz.”

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it.” David responds, also standing up. He gives me a small smile that I hesitantly return.

“But seriously, what were you doing?” My smile drops.

“Oh, I, uh, I was looking at some birds,” I say lamely.

“Well you shouldn’t be sticking your head out like that, someone could see you.” David says. I sigh, relieved he bought it. I sit back on the couch and David sits in the love seat. I turn to Chloe, hoping she’ll say something to break the awkward silence.