Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven

Once we're on the highway, we head for New YorkState. After a few hours, we get off the highway and drive to a small town called Bartville. I grew up in Harrensburg, the town right next to Bartville, so I know the area fairly well. I navigate through the town to an old abandoned barn. In order to reach the barn, you have to cross a bridge, so the barn is pretty secluded from the rest of the town.

As we drive down the old bridge, the sun starts to rise. I drive faster as the oranges and yellows of the sky start to fade into blue. Eventually, we get to the barn and I park the car. We sneak into the barn just as the sky turns into a definite blue color. We set down all our stuff on the hay lift and sit down.

"We can walk to the town from here to get more supplies when we need it." I say, sighing. My tiredness has finally caught up to me. I haven't slept in almost twenty four hours.

"We should both get some rest." Marsa says, yawning.

"I agree." I say.

"Most of our activities will be at night, so we can sleep during the day." Marsa nods and mumbles an agreement.

As I drift off to sleep, I think about all the people who have wronged me. I wonder who we should get first. And then I decide. My dreams are about killing that person, the one who started my crappy life, and it makes me feel happy. So, so, happy.

~~~

I wake up at eight and wake up Marsa. I then tell her all about our first victim: John Martin.

"Juliette smells bad, Juliette smells bad!" The boys taunt, laughing at me. I stand crying, covered in mud.

"What's wrong, Juliette, are you afraid of getting a little dirty?" John asks sarcastically, laughing.

"Or are you crying about the filthy clothes your pig family got you?" We had been playing tag, and John pushed me into a pile of mud. The new pink dress I was wearing was ruined!

"Juliette's a pig, Juliette's a pig!" The other kids yell mercilessly.

"Oink! Oink! Oink!"

Finally, I can't take it anymore. I run into the school building and into the girl's bathroom. I lock the stall door, sit on the toilet, and cry. I can't believe John would ever do that! He was my best friend and, more importantly, my long term crush. After a few minutes, the bell signaling everyone to go back inside went off. I dry my eyes and walk out of the bathroom. I walk into my fourth grade classroom and tell my teacher, Ms. Simons, I want to go home.

"Juliette, what happened?" She asks. I look over at John and his friends laughing in the corner. I then turn back to Ms. Simons unsteadily.

"I was running around and then I fell in the mud." I lie. Even if John was being mean, I didn't want him to get in trouble.

"Well," Ms. Simons says sighing, "since there is only a few minutes of class left, I guess so. I'll call your mom."

I thank her and wait outside the front door for my mom. She finally comes and takes me without saying a word. As I stare out the car window, I hope that John will be nicer tomorrow.

That's how it all started. Every day after that, John would harass me and be mean to me. He would say I was ugly and stupid, but I still liked him. Then, somehow, he found out I had a crush on him. He laughed at me, saying he would never date someone like me. I was heartbroken.