Chloe

WARNING: This part of the story has some mature situations in it and is completely optional. You can skip this part and understand the rest of the story. READ WITH YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Chloe

            When Juliette first told me about what happened to Laura in London, I didn’t believe her. I just thought that she was playing a joke on me, which I wouldn’t put past her. She’s done it before. And beside, it was kind of absurd. Why would David, Juliette’s ‘stalker,’ take Laura instead of just taking Juliette?

            But then Juliette started crying, and I knew she wasn’t joking. Juliette almost never cries. That was only the second time I ever saw Juliette cry, the first being when her dog was run over by a car and died. And that’s when I knew that Juliette was serious. Laura Kristoff, Juliette and I’s best friend, was probably dead.

            I didn’t know what to do. Do I cry? Do I curse David? Do I comfort Juliette? As you can imagine, I’m not the best with people. My friends would always say ‘Chloe, you are so socially awkward it’s cute!’ Which I guess is a compliment.

            So I just decided to comfort Juliette, which was kind of hard, because I started to cry too. So we were just sitting on the couch on my living room, crying on each other. And at that moment, I told myself I would get revenge on David. That I would find him, and avenge Laura.

            Now I know that it wasn’t that simple.

            Fast forward 5 years, and Juliette and I are kidnapped by David. Honestly, I thought we would be able to escape fairly quickly and go to the police. But then, when I wake up at the old abandoned house, Juliette tells me that I’ll have to escape without her. And let me tell you, there was no way in heck I was going to let that happen. I would never leave Juliette with that monster David by herself. I may act like I don’t care about my friends at times, and sometimes I get in fights with them, but I never, ever abandon them in times of trouble.

            Speaking of when we were hiding in the abandoned house, remember when I said I saw David’s journals in his office? Yeah, I was lying. What ended up happening was that I was about to go into the bathroom, but then I noticed a door slightly ajar right next to it. Me, wanting to find out more about David, decided to go check it out. What I saw scares me even now.

            I sneaked into the room and gasped. It might look like a normal room, with a chair and desk facing the broken window, if it weren’t for the pictures. The whole room was covered with pictures of Juliette. When we went to senior prom, when she won the creative writing award in 10th grade, when she started getting obsessed with rock bands in 8th grade, even at her 11th birthday. I could not see any part of the wall or ceiling that wasn’t covered by a picture.

            And then, there were even more pictures on the desk. But, there was a large pile of journals on the desk too. I looked through some of them, the earliest dating back to 2006. I was mainly mesmerized, however, by David’s drawings. They were all of Juliette, and they were all beautiful. It looked like she could just jump out of the book. I was tempted to steal one and show it to Juliette, but then I thought that David might notice. And, I decided not to tell Juliette about the whole room being covered with pictures of her. I didn’t want to freak her pout even more. So I just told her about the journals, and we moved on.

            The months ticked by where Juliette became more and more antisocial, and I got closer and closer to Marsa, especially after Ethan died. And, my hatred for David grew. I mean, he never did anything to me directly. He seemed to take out all of his anger out on Juliette. First, it was just the Always scar on her stomach. But David got increasingly violent once Ethan died. He carved on Juliette’s skin so much, she was hardly recognizable. I also noticed that he sometimes carved on Marsa, but not nearly as much as Juliette. But for some reason, he never laid a single finger on me. Not even once.