Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty One

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I open my eyes slowly, bracing myself for any bright lights. I'm in what looks like a hospital room, except slightly different. The walls are a pleasant mint color, and the bed I'm on is more comfortable than the ones in a hospital. When I try to sit up, I realize two things. One, My leg is in a cast, and two, my arms and legs are strapped down to the bed.

The door opens and a lady wearing a white dress enters the room. I presume she's a nurse, although she's not dressed like one.

"Hello." I croak. My throat is kind of dry.

"Hello, sweetie." The nurse says warmly.

"My name is Katelyn. I'm going to be your counselor for a while." I furrow my eyebrows.

"What do you mean, counselor?" I ask. Katelyn sighs.

"I mean," she says, "I'll be helping you during your stay here." Then it hits me. I'm in an insane asylum.

"Oh." I say.

"Do I get requests or something?" I ask. Katelyn nods.

"Sure. What is it?"

"C-Can I see my family?" Truthfully, I kind of missed them. Especially my brother Kevin. He always supported me.

"Actually, they're here right now. Let me get you out of those restraints, that can't be comfortable." Katelyn helps me out of the restraints and hands me a pair of crutches.

Oh, right. My leg. She leads me out of the room. As we're walking, I notice security guards following us from a distance. They probably thought I wouldn't notice. Like that would fool me.

Katelyn brings me into a small room divided by a metal screen. And there, on the other side, is my family. My mom, my dad, and my brothers, Kevin and Jeffrey. I start laughing and run to the screen. When my mom sees me, she bursts into tears. My dad and Jeffrey give me looks of disappointment. In fact, Kevin looks like the only one even remotely happy to see me. I stop laughing.

"Juliette, why would you do this?" My mom asks. I look at her confused.

"What do you mean? I did this for you."

"You killed innocent people for us?!" My dad yells. Mom leaves the room, followed by Dad. Jeffrey heads for the door. Before he leaves, he says "You're a disgrace." And slams the door behind him. Then it's only Kevin and I.

"Kevin, what's wrong?" I ask him, tears in my eyes. He looks at me, his eyes full of pain.

"Mom and Dad are disowning you." I feel like the world just crashed in on me.

"W-what?" I manage weakly.

"Juliette, Mom and Dad aren't going to let me see you again, so I want to tell you this while I can." He composes himself, and then speaks.

"I don't care what you've done or where you've been. We all make mistakes in our lives. I'm not perfect. Hell, I'm far from it. So I don't have the right to judge you for what you did. No one does. What you did was wrong, but I'm sure there must have been a damn good reason why you did it. I've forgiven you, just like I know you would forgive me. No matter what you've done, I want you to know I love you." Kevin puts his hand on the screen, and I do the same.

"I will always be with you Juliette. Always." I nod my head, tears streaming down my face. Kevin turns to leave. Just as he's about to close the door, I call after him.

"Wait." I look him in the eyes.

"I'll never forget you for as long as I live." Kevin smiles.

"And I will never forget you, Juliette Noelle Stevenson." And then he closes the door, disappearing from my life forever. I sigh and leave the room to see Katelyn waiting for me.