Chapter Three

Chapter Three

            “Juliette! Juliette, wake up!” I hear someone yell whisper into my ear.

            “What?” I say annoyedly. I’m never happy when someone wakes me up.

            “Will you go to the bathroom with me? No one else will.” I recognize the person’s voice and groan.

            “Kenzey, you have the bladder the size of a walnut.”

            “I know. Please?” Kenzey begs.

            “Fine,” I mutter. That’s another thing about me. I have the hardest time saying no to people. It’s hard to refuse even people I don’t like. Curse you, kind heart!

            “Let’s get this over with.”

            Kenzey and I make our way downstairs and to the bathroom.

            “Just wait outside the door, ok?” Kenzey says.

            “Fine, whatever. It’s not like I would go in there with you.” I lean against the bathroom door and wait. After a few minutes, I get impatient. I’m a naturally impatient person. It runs in my family. I knock on the bathroom door, but there’s no response.

            “Kenzey, what are you doing? Hurry up!” I say, tapping my foot.

            “Uh, Juliette? Can you get my purse upstairs? I need my, uh, girl stuff.”

            “Say no more. I’ll be right back.” I say. I quickly head upstairs to Alisa’s room.

            “ Hey guys, do you know where Kenzey’s bag is? She needs her s-“I’m cut off by a blood-curdling scream from downstairs. I immediately recognize the scream. It’s Kenzey’s scream.

            Suddenly, she stops screaming, leaving the room dead silent. No one knows how to react. The silence is broken by a faint dripping sound.

            Drip.

            Drip.

            Drip.

            Then, we hear footsteps. Footsteps coming up the stairs. All we can do is listen as the footsteps get closer and closer to Alisa’s door, the steady rhythm of the dripping in the background. Eventually, the footsteps stop right outside Alisa’s door. All is silent, besides the dripping sound. And then the door swings open.

            At first, no one does anything. All I can think is we’re screwed. Standing in the doorway is a guy in his early twenties with brown hair. Blood is splattered all over his shirt. He has this crazy look in his eye, and his smile was so big, it looked inhuman. But that’s not the worst part. In his left hand, he had a large knife with blood on it. And in his right hand, he held Kenzey’s decapitated head, frozen in a silent scream. After a few seconds of complete and utter silence, the man grabs Karlie, who is closest to the door, and slits her throat. That’s when all hell breaks loose.

            Karlie’s lifeless body falls to the floor as the man lets go of her and grabs Kinzie. Chloe starts opening the window as Alisa grabs her baseball bat. And I’m still just standing there out of pure horror. Chloe finally gets the window open, and she screams at me to move, but I’m frozen. I can’t move. I can’t breathe. I can’t think. All I can do is stare in terror as the man walks over Kinzie’s and Karlie’s bodies and advances towards me. He goes up right next to me and whispers in my ear.

            “How are you, love? Miss me?”

            That snaps me out of my shock and I pull away just as Alisa hits the man with her bat.

            “Come on, you guys!” Chloe shouts at us as she climbs out of the window outside. I crawl out the window and unto the roof with Alisa right behind me. We run to the telephone pole a few feet away from the roof.

            “We’ll have to climb down.” Chloe shouts. She climbs down quickly, me right behind her. Just as I’m reaching the ground, I hear a scream, and see the man has stabbed Alisa in the leg. Alisa screams again and hits the man and he falls down. She half climbs half jumps off of the pole and Chloe and I run over to her.

            “Are you alright?” Chloe asks her.

            “Peachy. We have to go, now. I only knocked him out.”

            “But where?” I ask. We look around. Alisa’s house is kind of secluded from the rest of the town. The closest house from here is like 10 miles away.

            “Well,” Chloe says calmly, “I guess we have no choice but to hide in the forest until we can get a hold of someone.” We run into the forest as fast as we possibly can.

While running, Alisa asks, “Who was that?” I look at her with sadness and say something I thought I’d never have to say again.

“That was David Nesnah, my stalker.”