Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

            After breakfast, I decide to go to the game room to play some Mariokart. Man, I love that game. I used to play it every day when I was younger, but a few years ago, our Wii feel while we were playing it and the disc got scratched. Now the disc won’t even start up. I remember crying my eyes out that day. And yeah, instead of crying over losing her Barbie, I cried over my game breaking. Or the deaths of fictional characters. Curse you, Moffat!

            Anyways, I start to play as Princess Peach. As I’m playing the game, I notice stuff I’ve never seen before in the game. In some of the race tracks, I could see a fire in the distance, or sometimes all of the character’s eyes would just look like dark pits.

            Eventually, I have a race on this track that looks similar to a farm scene. Just as I cross the finish line in first place, the game freezes. The obstacles, the characters, everything, it just… stops. Everything except for a fire in the middle of a field right next to the track. And, all of the characters are staring at me with these dark pits where their eyes should be. Not at my Character, Princess Peach. Me. It’s as if the characters can see me through the screen. Not knowing what to do, I press the B button and Princess Peach jumps out of her car.

            This can’t be right, I think. Characters can’t get out of their cars. I make Peach walk towards the field. Surprisingly, when we reach the fence, she jumps it and continues closer to the fire. As Peach walks towards the fire, I realize that the thing on fire is a person. They’re still alive, I can tell that, but they’re not trying to put out the fire. They’re just lying on the ground, doing nothing. When Peach is standing right next to the person, I press the A button and the camera shifts so I can see the person’s face. It’s Link.

            Ben, I think. Suddenly, Link’s eyes open up and he grabs Peaches’ arm. Peach catches on fire and falls down next to Link. The screen goes dark and the game lets out an ear-piercing scream. After a moment, the game restarts, but there’s only one save file. It’s Mii(avatar) looks like Link on fire, and the name is Ben.

            I immediately turn off the Wii and go on the computer. I go on Chrome and type in Cleverbot.com. This is the conversation.

            Ben?

            Hello Juliette.

            Ben, I miss you! It’s so horrible here!

            I know.

            Where were you?

            I was planning. We can’t meet in the library anymore, it’s too dangerous.

            Then where should we meet?

            In the courtyard. I gigged the cameras so it always shows an empty courtyard.

            Okay, I have to go now, it’s time for lunch. And we both know what happened the last time I was late for a meal.

            Yeah. About that…… I’m sorry I didn’t help Ethan. I just couldn’t blow my cover.

            It’s okay, I forgive you. See you after dinner.

            Bye.

            Then the computer shuts itself off and I sigh. I’m happy that I know that Ben didn’t leave. Just another reason to keep trying.