Chapter 7: The Road to Escapism

---

???, Sinnoh

Sophie shot up from her bed at the sound of an alarm, quickly turning it off so nobody could hear it. She looked over to the other side of her bed, where a familiar Oshawott was sleeping soundly.

"Oliver." She spoke, trying to wake him up.

Oliver only curled up more, letting out a few indistinct mumbles as he slept.

"Oliver." She quickly slapped the Oshawott, instantly waking him up. Oliver shot up, looking around frantically and confusedly.

"Huh? What happened?" Oliver asked in his slightly delirious state. "Did we get caught?"

"No, it's just time to get up." The Snivy replied, climbing off of the bed. "We really don't have much time."

"Right." The Oshawott stumbled off of Sophie's bed, immediately looking around for his backpack. In his blurry sight, he saw his blue-colored backpack, and immediately reached for it. "So do you have a plan?"

"I've got a decent idea." Sophie replied as she watched Oliver pull out his contacts.

---

Once Oliver had his contacts in, the two snuck out of Sophie's room, both looking around cautiously. The hallway seemed to be empty and dim, only the newly risen sun peeking through the windows providing light to the area.

The Snivy rubbed her eyes, signaling for Oliver to follow behind her to the bathroom. The two made a silent dash towards the bathroom, making it in without being seen.

"The vents again?" Oliver asked her.

"That's the only way to sneak into Jacob's cell."

"Why's that? Can't we just take the same route in?"

"No." She shook her head. "Knowing them, on the date of the memory erasure, they guard the cells with high security."

"Doesn't that mean some Pokémon might be looking for me now?" The Oshawott raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, it does." The Snivy replied, "And now that you've 'escaped', they're going to be extra hard on your friend. Maybe even interrogate him using torture."

Oliver gulped at her answer, remaining silent. He knew that Jacob was a bit hardheaded, so he wasn't really worried about him telling them about anything. But the Oshawott also knew that his hardheadedness could buy him a lot of torture.

"Are you doing okay?" Sophie noticed his silence, and wanted to know what was up with him. He had been asking tons of questions before she brought up the prospect of Jacob getting tortured.

"Y-Yeah... I'm just a bit worried about Jacob." Oliver replied, "Maybe if we had been a little faster, Jacob and I could've already been out of here."

"That is true..." The Snivy nodded, "...But there really isn't any use in wasting time thinking about what we could've done, focus on what we have to do now."

"Thanks." The Oshawott smiled at her.

"No problem." Sophie's unenthusiastic expression remained, "Now get in the vent before we're seen."

"Right, right." Oliver nodded, climbing into the vent. Sophie followed behind him, making sure to tightly close it before turning to Oliver.

"Do you know the way there?"

"Um... Not exactly." The Oshawott looked around nervously. "You shout get in front's Sophie."

The Snivy nodded, climbing over him. "Let's get going."