Chapter 61: Regression

---

Metro PKMN Center, Sinnoh

Days had passed since Oliver and Jacob took on the challenge given to them in Mythic Forest. Deciding that the duo needed some time before their next rigorous training session, Michael allowed the two a few days where they could do whatever they wanted. Whether it be to recuperate, do some more battling, or to enjoy themselves in the new location, it was up to them what their next outing would be.

Though, it seemed Oliver was more content with staying in their small room within the Pokémon Center.

"Ugh... So... Bored...!" The Pikachu groaned, dramatically writhing on his bed, "When can we go and do something!?"

Oliver was quick to retort, "We are doing something!" He exclaimed, restlessly flipping through the pages of the Pokédex Book he acquired in Forest Grotto, "Trying to connect the dots between what's been going on and what's been happening in this book has been keeping me busy since I got this thing!"

"I can barely even understand what you're doing with it..." The Electric-Type turned himself onto his side to look at the Oshawott on the other side of the small room, "Some stuff about glowing, and ripped pages, and that Nidoking guy we fought..."

"Nidoking!?" Bursting into the room was Logan, who nearly kicked the door from its hinges as he entered, "What about him?"

The room quickly fell silent as the Scorbunny looked between the Kanet natives. Upon realizing that there was no immediate threat, Logan let out a sigh, crossing his arms. He really had to get himself out of the mindset of the one he lived with while Nidoking was constantly a threat in his home. Jacob, meanwhile, was a little confused to see him so quickly after he brought up the specific Pokémon.

"Were you just waiting outside for one of us to mention Nidoking or something?"

"Shut up!" The Scorbunny barked, "It isn't wrong to be on guard! Anything could happen!"

"I'm pretty sure Nidoking wouldn't suddenly start rampaging through this town or something like that..." Oliver chimed in with a chuckle, "Though you do have a point... Remember what happened in Sapphire Town with that Hippowdon?"

"The one that went nuts and started charging through the Sapphire Plains?" Jacob remembered, "What about it?"

The Oshawott's eyes narrowed, "I'm thinking that both the incidents in Sapphire and Forest Grotto are somehow connected."

"Connected?" Jacob and Logan chorused.

Oliver's lips tightened together upon remembering what happened following the fight for Forest Grotto. From meeting Nidoking in the cave one night and learning about what caused him to go insane, to discovering that they both had similar experiences during a moment of unconsciousness where a voice spoke to them individually. Everything seemed connected somehow. He wasn't too sure what was connecting all of the strange incidents surrounding them, but the connection was there, and it all seemed to relate to one thing.

"That substance..." He muttered, a paw gently stroking his own chin, "...It was on that Hippowdon, and it was on Nidoking too. That Greninja we fought also had it, but he seemed to be able to use it without issue."

Joining the conversation was a familiar voice, "I see what you mean. That Greninja seemed to know about the strange properties of that substance, and was able to use it to block his wound after you stabbed him. It didn't seem to take over his mind like it did with Nidoking or the Hippowdon..."

Turning their heads, the boys noticed a familiar Snivy standing in the doorway, leaned up against the right side of the opening. Once her presence was acknowledged, the Snivy sat herself down on a nearby chair that sat close to Jacob's bed.