Chapter 28:...Declaration!

---

Forest Grotto, Sinnoh

The Buizel slid on the ground and next to a tree, letting out soft exhales as he rubbed his head softly. The headbutt he had hit Nidoking with had done more damage to himself than Nidoking.

Nidoking's eyes switched to look at the Buizel, his head stinging with a light pain.

"Max?" Logan's eyes widened as he looked at the young Buizel.

Nidoking stopped focusing on Logan and nearly lunged at Max, completely engulfed with rage.

The Buizel let out a small whimper, shielding himself from what was yet to come.

"Luckily, my cooldown should be done now..." Suddenly, Logan was flying towards them, using his Flame Shots for speed.

Despite not being able to move his arms, the way they dangled behind the Scorbunny was enough for him to use.

Max's arms lowered from his face a bit as he could see Logan flying towards him.

Logan kicked Max out of the way, managing to get him a decent distance away. The Buizel looked back to see the Scorbunny, his arms flailing, his expression pained, yet serious.

"Run..."

Before he could utter any other words, Logan was suddenly punched in his face, his head slamming against the tree. Logan's vision instantly went black.

Max, listening to what he said, ran away as quickly as he could. It wasn't as fast as Nidoking's speed however, as he began to catch up to the small Pokémon. Nidoking reached out to impale Max with one of his claws, when Jacob suddenly stepped in front of Max, planning to shield him from Nidoking.

Before Nidoking's claw got to him, a bone suddenly hit his paw, redirecting its trajectory into the ground.

"What the...?" The Pikachu looked to see where the bone was going, and a Marowak caught it midair, landing beside Jacob.

"You get the kid out of here, we'll handle Nidoking."

Jacob picked up Max, but was a bit confused, "We?"

His question was answered when a familiar Aipom and Buneary jumped out to stand beside A.J, not looking back at him.

Jacob's eyes immediately trained onto the Buneary, "Hold on, is that...?"

"Go!" The Marowak shouted loudly, making Jacob jump in surprise before he ran off, carrying Max.

"Let's handle this guy..." Leah gave a soft smirk, "We have the upper hand in this."

The three all ran at Nidoking, only to all be swatted away. Nidoking was focused on chasing after Max, who was looking back at him in fear.

"Nix now!" Leah shouted as A.J fired an Ice Beam at Nidoking's left foot.

A familiar Nidoran jumped out from a nearby tree and fired another Ice Beam to directly strike Nidoking, covering his whole body. This didn't seem to affect Nidoking's ability to use attacks, however, as a Hyper Beam shot out of Nidoking's frozen mouth and right at Jacob and Max.

Before the attack could hit, a Golduck stepped in front of the two, using a Light Screen to reduce the damage to himself.

"Sir, I understand you're grieving..." The Golduck's Light Screen quickly faded as he began walking towards the frozen Nidoking, "But I can't let this slide anymore. None of us can."

Behind the Golduck stood most of the Grotto Rangers, out of the building, and looked prepared to fight.

Jacob looked up for a moment before his eyes widened, "Push him towards Ollie's attack!" The Pikachu pointed up to the top of the center, where Sophie was still climbing up the destroyed frame with Oliver in tow.