Chapter 8: World Cup: Starting Line

---

Casteel PKMN Center, Sinnoh

As Oliver and Sophie waited for Jacob's injuries dealt during when they were captured to be healed, they sat on one of the couches in the waiting room. Sophie occasionally glanced over to Oliver, who seemed to be looking at a framed picture of something.

"What's that?" She asked.

"Oh, it's just a picture of my parents." Oliver replied, "Sometimes I take it out to just look at, because I know one day I'll start getting homesick."

"You have a good point..."

The two sat in silence, avoiding the other's glances by looking anywhere else.

"Why did you take me along?"

"Huh?" The Oshawott's small ears perked up. "What?"

"I'm asking why you decided to take me with you." The Snivy looked down, "The gang I was living with might try to track us down again to find us."

"But that won't matter."

"Hm? Why not?"

"Because you're strong, Sophie." Oliver gave her a friendly smile. "So is Jacob. Even if they do find us again, we'll have a fighting chance against them. Especially if you and Jacob learn more about your powers."

The Snivy remained silent, thinking over the explanation Oliver had just given her.

"And we decided to bring you with us because you're kind of like us." The Oshawott continued, "You have a dream you're aspiring after too, right?"

"To uncover my history." Sophie nodded.

"Then what would be better to see that around Sinnoh?" Oliver asked, "What if your history goes beyond Casteel City?"

"I never thought about that..."

"Then think about it while you travel with us." The Oshawott put a paw on her shoulder. "Welcome to the insanity, Sophie."

The Snivy smiled faintly at his statement. "Thank you-"

Before Sophie could finish, she was interrupted by the Pokémon Center's chime, signaling that a Pokémon was healed. Soon after they heard the chime, a familiar Pikachu walked over, his body seeming completely healed.

"Hey, guys." Jacob walked over cheerfully, sitting down next to Oliver. "I'm finally healed from all of that stuff, we should get going."

"I don't know..." Oliver looked towards an electronic clock above the front desk. "It's nearly noon, so maybe we should rent a room here and wait until morning to head out."

"You have a good point, but there's just one problem..." Jacob smiled nervously.

"What?" Sophie looked over to the Pikachu.

"Unless Sophie has a secret supply of money on her, we're dead broke."

"Dang it... How are we going to get a decent supply of money then?" Oliver put a paw on his chin.

"Well the Basic Class supplies cash prizes as an incentive for batting early on." Sophie interjected nonchalantly.

"Wait, are there any Battle-Zones around this town?" Jacob asked, his eyes widening.

"Yes, there's one." The Snivy replied.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Oliver asked confusedly.

"I'll explain on the way." Sophie answered, "But for now, we need to get Jacob registered before we can go to one of the Battle-Zones."