Chapter 9: Jacob vs. Dawn

---

Casteel Battle Zone, Sinnoh

Jacob stretched his arms and legs, letting out a few grunts. He was preparing for a battle. Specifically, a challenge battle against Dawn. He seemed to wear a little bit less than his usual lighthearted expression. He watched a few of Dawn's battles, knowing that he would have to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible.

"Are you sure about doing this?" Sophie asked as she and Oliver watched him stretch.

"There's no backing out now that I've accepted." Jacob replied.

"Yes there is." The Snivy's eyebrow lowered. "Listen to me, you don't know what Dawn's about. She's not who she seems."

"I'll find out when we battle." The Pikachu told her confidently.

"Whatever." She shrugged, sitting back next to Oliver. "It's your death, you should choose how you go out."

"There's no use in trying to convince him to change his mind." Oliver chuckled, looking at her. "It's like he has a one-track mind, and when his course is set, there's no veering off."

Jacob walked towards the battlefield, smiling softly. He wondered how he would be able to fare against her, especially after he saw how she battled against that Turtonator earlier. Once he reached the battlefield, he stood on the right, waiting for Dawn to come.

Meanwhile, Dawn sat on the stands, looking at Jacob's carefree smile. She was a bit confused, as she didn't really know why he was smiling. Was he just a happy person?

She stood up, walking down and to the left side of the battlefield and looking at Jacob.

The Pikachu's smile seemed to fade a bit as they both looked at the other. Jacob was getting a bit nervous. This wasn't a life-or-death fight like what happened with Lizard and that Charizard. He couldn't just go all-out like he did against them.

And what would his mother think if she knew he was going around fighting girls?

Jacob shook off the thought as the referee began the battle formalities. The Gallade raised his arm, beginning to speak. "Okay!"

"I want a good, clean match out of both of you! Is that clear?"

"Yeah." Jacob nodded, clenching his paws.

"Yes." Dawn replied, cracking her paws lightly.

"Good, this will be a challenge match between Basic Class participant Jacob..." The Gallade gestured towards the Pikachu before turning to the Buneary, "And Normal Class participant Dawn."

Oliver looked between them, beginning to think. From what he's seen from them, he knew Dawn had the upper hand first and foremost, with more experience than Jacob, but has she been through anything similar he and Jacob have gone through?

"Are the combatants ready?"

Both Dawn and Jacob prepared to battle, nodding their heads.

"Battle, begin!"

The two dashed forward, eventually meeting in the center of the battlefield. They both reeled back an arm and swung it at the other, clashing their paws. They remained like that for a moment before Dawn went for a hit in the gut, which Jacob was barely able to avoid.

Jacob swung his tail at her, which Dawn grabbed.

The Pikachu yelped before Dawn planted her feet, swinging him around in circles at high speeds.

"Hm... She knows Circle Throw as well..." Sophie thought aloud. "Depending on her other two attacks, Jacob might just be screwed."

"What if those are her only two attacks?" Oliver looked at her.