Chapter 53: Kanet Days

---
Kanet Village, Sinnoh/5Y Ago

A familiar Oshawott rested peacefully in his bed. He seemed to be having a nice dream, a faint smile spread across his face. There were faint voices downstairs, seemingly discussing something. The voices downstairs only made the Oshawott more comfortable, lulling him into a deeper rest. 

The peace and quiet was suddenly shattered, however, when his bedroom door flung open. The Oshawott's eyes open all of a sudden, throwing the covers off of himself in surprise. The Oshawott tried to look at who had opened his door, but could only see a fuzzy yellow figure standing in the blurred doorframe.

"What the—?" The Oshawott rubbed his eyes in a futile attempt to see his surroundings better, "Who's that, Jacob?"

"Ding, ding, ding!" The Pikachu exclaimed, running over and jumping on the Oshawott's bed, "Wakey-wakey Ollie!"

The shaking of the bed caused Oliver to fall off, landing on the floor, "Ow..." Oliver wore a slightly annoyed, yet amused expression as he lifted his face from the floor.

"Whoops, sorry..." Jacob peered over the edge of the bed with a nervous chuckle. The Pikachu grabbed a familiar container from Oliver's nightstand, passing it to him.

Oliver opened the small container before opening it and putting his contacts in. Blinking twice, he turned his attention to his best friend, "Thank you. Now what are you doing in here?" 

"Your parents let me in!"

"Not how are you in here. Why are you in here, Jacob?"

"Oh. Right..." The Pikachu thought for a moment, "Well today's the competition, of course!"

"Wait, today? Today, today?"

"Ain't a better day than today!"

---

"Thanks for waking up Oliver, Jacob..." A familiar Primarina smiled as she watched the two young boys sit down at the table.

"No prob, Ms. Olivia!" Jacob grinned, "He was taking forever to get to the meetup spot so I went to check things out myself."

"Isn't that nice, Ollie?" Olivia looked over at her son.

Oliver's face was laid down on the table, a groggy voice coming from him, "Super nice..." 

"So what are the rules this time?" Jacob asked the Oshawott, lightly tapping his foot on the chair he was sitting on in anticipation.

"So it says on this paper that this time, the competition will be played in teams of two..." Oliver read a paper, his pupils slowly moving down the paper as he read.

"What's the prize? The prize, Ollie!" 

"The prize will be a year's supply of berries supplied by Mr. Peterson." 

The Pikachu's eyes bulged, "You had me at food!"

"I didn't even say food— Woah!" Oliver had been pulled from his seat by Jacob, who excitedly dragged him out of the room and out of the house.

"Have fun, boys!" Olivia shouted after them.

---

After signing themselves up for the competition, Oliver and Jacob sat on a brick wall overlooking Drew's berry vendor. Jacob smiled with confidence, looking at the four crates of berries behind the vendor.