Chapter 43: Veil of Secrecy

---

Sapphire Town, Sinnoh

Miles woke up in his bed. After such an exhausting day, running from those thieves, he didn't even have the time to let his parents know that he successfully got the items for helping his friend's wound.

He got up and out of his bed, grabbing his brown backpack and getting ready to bring it to Carla and Vincent.

The Rockruff walked out of his room, yawning with a faint squeak. He rubbed his right eye with a paw as he walked through the hallway.

"Milesssss...." A familiar voice moaned, seemingly in pain.

The Rockruff quickly turned around, looking for where the voice came from, "Huh?"

"Milessss! Help meee!"

Suddenly, a familiar Zorua suddenly jumped from behind a door, a strange, brown runny substance dripping from her whole body. Miles couldn't even see her fur from how much of this substance was on her body.

"Akari!?" Miles stepped back a bit, "What happened?"

"The infection is taking over my body!" She exclaimed dramatically, walking towards Miles, "Take me to a hospital!"

Miles' eyes widened as he let out a yelp, reaching to her, "I'll get you to Mom and Dad!"

He picked her up and quickly put her on his back before rushing to Vincent and Carla's room.

Miles nearly rammed the wooden door open, panting softly, "Mom! Dad! Kari needs help!"

Vincent, who was fast asleep with his mate, woke up groggily. He looked over to where he heard his son's voice, and saw the two young Pokémon, one of which was dripping with a questionable substance.

"Akari... What did I say about using the pancake batter for pranks again?" Vincent yawned tiredly.

Miles' ears twitched, "Pancake batter...?"

He looked up at his best friend, eyelids lowering. She looked back at him with a toothy smirk and snicker, a common mannerism for her species.

"Kari!" Miles suddenly sat down so that Akari slid off of his back, landing on her back on the floor.

"You can be so gullible, Miles!" The Zorua giggled.

Miles pouted, "I was actually worried about you!"

Akari stood on her hind legs before pretending to flex, "Come on, I'm loads tougher than that!"

The Rockruff giggled at his friend's antics, watching some of the pancake batter that was on her body slowly seep onto the floor.

The commotion woke up Carla, who yawned tiredly. She looked over to her son and his best friend, almost immediately piercing everything together.

The Midday Lycanroc's left eye twitched before she suddenly dashed over and scooped Akari off of her feet.

"The floors, Akari!" Carla exclaimed, "And look at your fur! Oh, what a mess..."

Vincent smiled a bit at his mate's mannerism, "I'll get a towel."

"And I'll give this one a bath!" Carla smiled at the Zorua.

Akari looked away stubbornly, "You can just scrape the batter off my fur and we can eat it for breakfast..."

"Ewww!" Miles gagged, sticking his tongue out.

Carla nodded, "Ew is right, think of all of the fur that would be in it, not to mention how bad the pancakes would taste after being cooked with all of the fur."

As the Lycanroc carried her off, Miles watched as Vincent walked back into the room and wiped the remaining pancake batter off of the floor.

"Can I see the medicine and wound supplements you got, Miles?" The Dusk Lycanroc turned to his son, "I should get it prepared for when Akari and your mother are finished."