02 | scandalous.

derek morgan.

I glance over to Charlotte as we drive down the roads of Virginia, her hair flowing through the wind from the breeze coming in through the rolled down passenger window.

I grin softly, looking back at the road as Charlotte reads a book on the way to the bureau—looking so interested in what she's reading, but keeping a straight face the entire time.

"What are you reading?" I ask, curiously.

Charlotte looks up at me, giving me a soft smile before looking back down at the book she's reading, "Just a book." She states with a shrug, her hand fumbling through the book as she turns the page.

"Does this book have a name?" I ask.

"Every book has a name." She responds, her eyes flicking up and down the pages.

"What's it about?" I ask.

Charlotte shrugs again, "I'm not sure, yet. Spence recommended it to me two nights ago, and I just started reading it." She states.

I nod, "So you and Reid run a secret underground book club." I tease.

Charlotte chuckles, shaking her head as she marks her spot, closing the book.

"You're jealous." She states.

"Of Reid?" I ask, my brows knitting together.

Charlotte nods, piercing her lips together.

I shake my head, blowing a raspberry with my lips, "Pfft, no I am not. What makes you think that?" I ask in a low, solemn tone.

Charlotte shrugs her shoulders, "You seem like the jealous type." She states.

"What!? No, I am not!" I exclaim, defensively.

Charlotte lets out a breathy chuckle, "Your cheeks are turning red. You can barely see it, but it's there." She teases.

"I'm not jealous." I state, shaking my head in denial.

Charlotte nods, "So, you're not jealous of the friendship Spence and I have at all?" She asks, pushing more buttons.

I shake my head, "Why would I have to be jealous? You're mine and only mine. I don't share." I state in a low, raspy tone.

Charlotte automatically goes silent, her cheeks turning a bright rosy pink color.

"Cat got your tongue, love?" I tease.

Charlotte shakes her head, swatting my arm as I turn the corner, pulling into the bureau parking lot.

I let out a heavy exhale, "Okay, so what's the game plan here?" I ask, pulling into a distant parking lot instead of my own.

"What do you mean?" Charlotte asks.

I shrug my shoulders slightlu, glancing over to her, "The team — do I walk in holding your hand again or do I sneak around until you find a way to tell Reid?" I ask, my eyes meeting hers as I lean back in my seat.

Charlotte's brows knit together in slight confusion, "Wh- Why-" She begins to ramble.

I chuckle lightly, shaking my head, "Because we all know that Reid is your best friend. I know damn well that you're dying to tell him first." He states in a low tone.

Charlotte nods slightly, her eyes meeting mine as she lets out a sigh in defeat, "You got me there. I just- I- why would you want to postpone letting people know? Just for me to tell Spence about us?" She asks.

I shrug my shoulders again, "Because I want you to be happy. I don't want you ruining your friendship with Spence by not letting him know that we're back first — especially not after he spent weeks picking you up after I brought you down." I state.