20 | we did it.

charlotte rhodes.

"We did it? We seriously did it?" I ask in utter disbelief, standing in the middle of Derek's mom's living room.

Derek nods, a wide grin dancing on his lips as he glances between Penny and I, "We did it. Garcia said it was all you and I." He states.

Penny nods in agreement, "I barely even lifted a finger, sugar. This was all you guys. You both impressed the jury — they had no other choice but to accept you both as foster parents. All you need now is for Tina to come by and bring Louie." She states with a warm smile, her eyes glistening in the light.

I glance back to Derek, a soft smile dancing on my lips, "We did it." I state once more as Derek nods, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Who did what? What did I miss?" Spence asks cluelessly as he walks out of the kitchen and into the living room.

He glances between Penelope, Derek, and I as I wipe happy tears from the water ducts of my eyes.

Spence shakes his head as he glances at me, letting out a heavy exhale, "Please tell me you didn't fuck her over and hurt her again. C'mon, Derek, I thought we talked about this-" He begins to ramble on, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"No- What? No. That's not-" Derek begins.

I let out a small puff of laughter, shaking my head, "Derek didn't do anything, I promise." I pause, glancing over at Derek before glancing back at Spence, "We got approved to be foster parents." I state proudly.

"Does that mean-" Spence begins.

I nod slightly, a warm smile beaming on my face as my lips part slowly, "Once Tina gets notified that Derek and I got approved, Louie will be ours." I state, letting out a small exhale as my chest hammers — pure disbelief still running through my bones, an adrenaline rush flowing through my body.

Spence's jaw drops slightly, "Holy shit!" He exclaims, his voice cracks mid-sentence from disbelief as he has a small moment to himself to process this all.

He lets out a small puff of laughter, pulling both Derek into a hug as a wide, bright smile dances on his lips, "Congratulations to both of you, seriously. You guys deserve this more than anyone else in the world." He states in a proud tone, releasing himself from the celebratory hug with Derek.

He switches over to me in one rushed motion, pulling me in tightly as he lets out another disbelieved puff of laughter, "You're gonna be a mom." He mumbles against the crook of my neck, "I'm so fucking proud of you and how far you've come, Char." He states in a whispered tone.

I release myself from the hug, my eyes watering from his statement;

"I'm so fucking proud of you and how far you've come, Char." Such a strong statement that such a beautiful soul could state.

Spencer Reid was always the first one to tell me how proud he was of me — he stuck by my side and never let go. He always, always, always made sure to hold my hand through the hell we both walked through together.

I give him a small nod, trying to catch my breath as I hold back a heavy sob, "Thank you, Spence. I'm so fucking proud of you as well, look at how far you've come." I state in a low tone, fighting back tears as my eyes search his.

Look at how far I've come, Spence... I wish you were by my side to see me now.

Spence smiles softly, "I call being godfather and Uncle Spence."  He states with a small laugh as he tries to hold back tears, both of us getting emotional during our small celebratory moment.