17 | mischief.

derek morgan.

I let out a sharp exhale as I pull into the driveway of my mother's house.

Glancing over to Charlotte, I grin softly as my eyes meet hers, "There's another car in the driveway." She states with a warm smile.

I nod, glancing back to Louie -- who's fast asleep in a car seat in the back seat -- before glancing back at Charlotte, "Are we ready for this?" I ask in a low tone, anxiouness rising in my bones.

Charlotte nods slightly at my words, "We got this." She states in hope, smiling softly.

I let out a sharp exhale, "Let's do this." I state, pulling the keys out of the ignition.

I open my car door, climbing out of the car before walking over to the passenger side, opening the door for Charlotte.

Charlotte shakes her head slightly, "I will never understand why you force me to wait in the car until you open the door." She states in a low tone.

"It's a gentleman's duty." I state with a shrug.

Charlotte nods, letting out a soft chuckle as I open the backseat car door. Louie slowly wakes up, his eyes slightly fluttering open in confusion. I place my arm around the back of his neck, causing him to flinch from the impact, his body shaking a bit in fear.

I frown slightly, "Hey buddy, you're okay. It's just me, no one's gonna hurt you." I state in reassurance as I cradle him in my arms.

Louie yawns, giving me a small nod before getting comfortable in my arms, falling back asleep within seconds. Charlotte shuts the car door before we begin to make our way up the driveway. All the way up to the porch, there stays a comfortable silence in the atmosphere between Chatlotte and I.

As we make it to the front door, I watch Charlotte rock back and forth on her heels, anxiousness clearly rising in her bones.

I grin softly, "We're Derek and Charlotte. We got this." I state in a low tone, trying to calm her down and comfort in any way that I can.

Charlotte nods as she slips the key into the keyhole of the doorknob. She slowly opens the door, careful to make sure that it doesn't make a loud noise -- that way it doesn't wake up Louie from his restless sleep.

We make our way inside, kicking off our shoes. My mom walks into the living room, standing beside another woman -- her hair short, her skin dark. She's wearing a collared white shirt underneath a green sweater. She wears a lanyard around her neck, two small hoop earrings dangling from her ears -- one on each ear.

We all exchange warm smiles as the woman speaks up, "I'll let you guys put him down to nap before we speak." The woman states.

Charlotte and I nod slightly at her words, heading to my bedroom. I make my way to the bed, still cradling Louie in my arms, as Charlotte quietly shuts the room door behind her.

"You okay, love?" I ask in a whispered tone, placing Louie down on my head carefully.

Charlotte comes up behind me, nodding slightly, "Yeah, I just can't believe this is actually happening -- that we're actually doing this." She states in a whispered tone.

I wrap my arm around Charlotte, "We deserve to be happy." I state in a low tone.

"Louie deserves to be happy." She adds on, smiling softly as she gazes at him.

I nod at Charlotte's words, "And we'll make sure he's happy. We'll make sure he has a better life from this point on." I state.

Charlotte smiles softly, leaning forward as she tucks Louie in. She turns back towards me, "Should we turn the lights off? What if he gets scared?" She asks, worriedly.