12 | reminiscence.

a/n: this is a double update so if you haven't already read chapter 11, be sure to do that first. i love you guys so so so much. enjoy. :)

derek morgan.

I walk into the bullpen of the Intelligence Unit, side by side with Kevin Atwater. I glance up as we make it to the top of the stairs, my eyes travelling around the room until they land on Charlotte.

I watch as she tosses her head back slightly, rubbing her face with the palms of her hand in defeat. She glances back downward towards the desk, her eyes reading the case file as she runs her hands through her hair.

I slowly and quietly walk up behind her, placing my hands out as they land on her shoulders, massaging them.

Charlotte hums softly in response, tilting her head to the side a bit, "Are you okay, love?" I ask in a low, rasped tone.

Charlotte nods slightly, "Yeah." She mutters in response, letting out a heavy sigh.

I pat Charlotte's shoulder softly before turning slightly to walk out of the bullpen again, "Come with me." I state in a low tone, placing out my hand for Charlotte to take.

"What?" She asks, her brow furrowed.

I smile softly, "Come with me." I repeat in a rasped tone, gesturing for Charlotte to take my hand and come with me.

Charlotte smiles, getting up as she closes her case file and grabs her coat. She walks up to me slowly as I feel the anxiousness rising in her bones — the curiosity of where we're going filling her mind.

I wrap my arm around her, "Don't overthink any of it. Just trust me on this." I state in a whispered tone as I dip down slightly.

Charlotte nods slightly at my words, letting out a small exhale of relief.

_____________

I let out a breathless chuckle as I climb out of the car, "Come on! What the hell are you waiting for, smalls?" I ask in a teasing tone as I watch Charlotte sit patiently in the passenger seat of the car, just waiting there.

I shake my head slightly, "You're really killing me today, smalls." I mutter under my breath as I walk back up to the car, opening the passenger door.

"What are you doing?" Charlotte asks, placing her hands out to guard herself.

I shrug my shoulders, "Doing what I clearly need to do for the woman who is acting like a child in the front seat of my car." I state in a low tone, grabbing Charlotte's legs as I pull her out of the car slightly, making sure that she doesn't hit her head.

Once I know she's in the clear, I cradle her to pick her up out of the car, and within a second, she's tossed over my shoulder like a rag doll.

"Derek, put me down." Charlotte states as I walk towards a locked gate.

"One second." I hum in response.

"Derek, I'm not kidding, put me down." She fights.

I chuckle at her words and her sudden begging for me to put her down, "Well, since you didn't know how to get out of the car in the first place and since you decided to act like a child, this is how we're gonna work. So, I suggest you stop fighting it before someone calls the cops." I state in response.

"I did not act like a child." Charlotte defends.

"You always act like a child." I state, placing her down the ground.