25 | goodbyes.

a/n: hi loves! quick note before you all start; the writing in this chapter is a bit scattered because i wanted to show both charlotte and derek's pov in this chapter, so it's bouncing back and forth between them. i put the ••• dots & made sure to put their names in bold so that you guys could separate their povs to the best of your abilities. if it gets too confusing, just comment and i'll unpublish the chapter and rewrite it :). i love you all. enjoy<3.

p.s., i'm so sorry for this.
------------------------------------------------------------------

derek morgan.

I look at Maggie in disbelief, the words escaping from my mind — my whole body going blank as it tries to process and understand the disheartening news.

Reid is dying and he didn't tell any of us.

"I'm so sorry..." Maggie states, walking around the nurse's station to make her way to Charlotte and I — giving us both hugs.

"W-We need to go see him." Charlotte states in a low tone as she looks over to me, her eyes heavily filled with tears.

I nod, "Yeah. I-" I begin, glancing over to Maggie, "You said Room 6A on the ICU floor?" I ask in a low tone, my mind still scrambling for the proper words to say.

There are no proper words to say in this moment, though. There is no right thing to say. Reid is dying, and no one knew.

This is such a Reid-like thing to do — lie his way through the pain, just for the benefit of others — just so he doesn't get in the way of other people's happiness. He reminds me so much of Charlotte and I'll be damned if I let him let go this easily.

The team cannot handle another loss. We've all lost so much — I'm scared that if we lose another person, we'll all break. There will be no coming back from this moment.

"Morgan?" I hear a familiar tone state my name, trying to capture my attention.

I break out of my hazed state, turning around — my eyes landing on Hotch, standing there with the rest of the team.

"Hotch..." I begin.

"What's wrong? What happened?" He asks.

"Reid is in the ICU. They don't know if he's gonna make it." I state, rubbing my forehead in disbelief, a headache growing in my mind as I still try to process everything.

Emily shakes her head in disbelief, "Where's Charlotte?" She pauses, "She should be here. Reid shouldn't be in a hospital bed without her by his side." She states, looking around.

"She was-" I begin, turning to my side to see the empty space where Charlotte had been standing, "She was just here." I mutter.

Where the hell did she go?

•••

charlotte morgan.

I make my way to the elevators, hoping that they're empty — hoping with everything that I will have a quiet place to process everything and let everything out.

The elevator bell dings, the doors opening slowly as I slip inside — the elevator empty.

"Hold it!" I hear a voice call out.

I let out a heavy exhale, holding open the elevator door — I could have let them shut, I should have let them shut — but I didn't want to be mean. The person could have something important going on and I would have shut the elevator doors on them within two seconds, making them lose everything.