32 | traitor.

a/n: i did in fact listen to 'traitor' by olivia rodrigo on repeat while i wrote this. so if you need a song rec, that one goes hand in hand with this chapter. anyways, enjoy !!
------------------------------------------------------------------

spencer reid.

I watch as Derek gets up off his one knee in the distance, re-proposing to Charlotte.

I hate this.

I hate hiding this from her.

Derek told me this morning that we can't hide this from her anymore, that we need her to know about this all.

"Hello?" I state, picking up the phone.

"Where am I meeting you?" Derek asks, sternly.

"Why are you in such a bad mood? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?" I ask.

"What kind of saying is that?" Derek asks, taking a breath, "And I'm mad because I'm hiding something from my wife and I feel as though she should know about this by now. I mean, hell, Charlotte doesn't deserve this secrecy. We dealt with Cat and you're safe now, so I think it's okay too say that you can come out of hiding." He states, "I can't sleep at night knowing I'm keeping this from her. She deserves more than this."

"We will tell her once I get back to work at the bureau. I need to talk to Strauss about this first, explain everything that happened and why I did what I did." I state in a low tone.

Derek scoffs at my words, "Nobody gives a damn about Strauss. Charlotte should've known from the start." He mutters in anger, "Now where the hell am I meeting you so we can fix this shit before we're in too deep?" He asks, sternly.

"We're already in too deep, Derek." I state.

"Shut the hell up and tell me where I'm meeting you. Am I meeting you in the lobby?" He asks.

"No, that's way too obvious. If Charlotte comes downstairs to look for you, we'll be right out in the open and it'll blow our cover. Meet me in the bookstore down the street, there's a cafe inside." I state, taking a sip off my coffee.

"Yes, please, pick the place that'll attract Charlotte's attention first." Derek spits.

"She'll never expect you to be inside of here, peanut brain, that's why I picked it. She would never check to see if you're inside a bookstore." I spit back.

"Whatever. I'll be there in two." Derek states, hanging up the phone.

"Such an ass." I mutter under my breath as the line goes dead.

So here I stand, just yards away from Derek, Louie, and Charlotte. I watch as Louie smiles from the distance, watching both of his parents in awe. I watch as Charlotte's eyes water and as Derek kisses her deeply. I watch as Charlotte's smile falls to a frown, her brow furrowing in confusion...

...and then I watch as her eyes travel over to me, squinting as she tries to make out who I am, her jaw dropping slightly as I take a step forward, adrenaline shaking in my bones.